Market concentration and productivity in the United States corn sector: 2002-2009
There is a large literature which investigates the relationship between market concentration and innovation. It is difficult to find a suitable measure for innovative output. We use a rich dataset based on university trials of corn hybrids to estimate, using fixed effects, a production function. We predict the fixed effects, by year and Crop Reporting District (CRD), for each hybrid to identify the amount of yield that is directly related to the genetics of the hybrids. We combine this dataset with one which provides information for market concentration, and find, using two stage least squares, that there is a positive relationship between market concentration and innovation.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip H. Howard, 2009. "Visualizing Consolidation in the Global Seed Industry: 1996–2008," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(4), pages 1266-1287, December.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Scotchmer, Suzanne & Simon, Leo K., 1999. "Intellectual Property and Market Structure in Agriculture," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt70j206tr, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Thirtle, Colin G., 1985. "Technological Change And The Productivity Slowdown In Field Crops: United States, 1939-78," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Nancy T. Gallini, 2002. "The Economics of Patents: Lessons from Recent U.S. Patent Reform," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 131-154, Spring.
- Kohn, Meir & Scott, John T, 1982. "Scale Economies in Research and Development: The Schumpeterian Hypothesis," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 239-49, March.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell, 2010.
"Measuring and decomposing agricultural productivity and profitability change ,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), pages 527-560, October.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2010. "Measuring and decomposing agricultural productivity and profitability change," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2009. "Measuring And Decomposing Agricultural Productivity And Profitability Change," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47625, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Deepthi Elizabeth Kolady & William Lesser, 2009. "But are they Meritorious? Genetic Productivity Gains under Plant Intellectual Property Rights," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 62-79.
- Nolan, Elizabeth & Santos, Paulo, 2010. "Measuring the Contribution of Genetic Characteristics as an Indicator of Innovation: The Case of Corn in the USA, 1990-2009," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61333, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Shi, Guanming & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Steigert, Kyle, 2009.
"An Analysis of the Pricing of Traits in the U.S. Corn Seed Market,"
Staff Paper Series
544, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Guanming Shi & Jean-paul Chavas & Kyle Stiegert, 2010. "An Analysis of the Pricing of Traits in the U.S. Corn Seed Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1324-1338.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Kim, Kwansoo & Lauer, Joseph G. & Klemme, Richard M. & Bland, William L., 2001. "An Economic Analysis Of Corn Yield, Corn Profitability, And Risk At The Edge Of The Corn Belt," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Nolan, Elizabeth & Santos, Paulo, 2011. "Risk premiums and GM traits," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103692, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lanjouw, Jean O & Pakes, Ariel & Putnam, Jonathan, 1998. "How to Count Patents and Value Intellectual Property: The Uses of Patent Renewal and Application Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 405-32, December.
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M G, 1982. "Preemptive Patenting and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 514-26, June.
- Guanming Shi, 2009. "Bundling and Licensing of Genes in Agricultural Biotechnology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 264-274.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:125941. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.