Education and health outcomes for social minorities in India: An analysis using SUR model
The current study analyzes the health and education outcomes of fifteen year old children in India and investigates the question of inequality of such outcomes for socio-religious categories. To study the effect of health on education, SUR estimation has been undertaken. The comparison of SUR and OLS results shows that SUR estimates have smaller standard errors than the OLS estimates. Of the three categories analyzed in the data, STs have worst outcomes for both education and health and SCs lag behind in the health field. The results have important implications for policy regarding education and health of the socio-religious minorities.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Behrman, Jere R, 1996. "The Impact of Health and Nutrition on Education," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 23-37, February.
- Case, Anne & Fertig, Angela & Paxson, Christina, 2005. "The lasting impact of childhood health and circumstance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 365-389, March.
- Jean Drèze & Geeta Gandhi Kingdon, 1999.
"School Participation in Rural India,"
STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers
18, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Jean Dreze & Geeta Gandhi Kingdon, 1999. "School Participation in Rural India," Working papers 69, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Jean Dreze & Geeta Gandhi Kingdon, 1999. "School participation in rural India," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6666, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ashwini Deshpande, 2000. "Recasting Economic Inequality," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 58(3), pages 381-399.
- Vani K. Borooah & Sriya Iyer, 2002.
"Vidya, Veda, and Varna: The Influence of Religion and Caste on Education in Rural India,"
ICER Working Papers
32-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Vani Borooah & Sriya Iyer, 2005. "Vidya, Veda, and Varna: The influence of religion and caste on education in rural India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 1369-1404.
- Sonalde Desai & Veena Kulkarni, 2008. "Changing educational inequalities in india in the context of affirmative action," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 45(2), pages 245-270, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:124840. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.