Ethanol and Meat in the U.S.: A Multi-Market Analysis
Since corn is the primary feedstock used for producing ethanol in the U.S., and ethanol production yields byproducts that can be fed to livestock in combination with corn, addressing the effect of ethanol production on meat markets should consider not only demand and supply interdependence between corn, ethanol, and ethanol byproducts; but also demand and supply interdependence between different types of meats. This paper develops a multi-market equilibrium displacement model to account for the interdependence. Six markets are considered: beef, pork, poultry, corn, ethanol, and ethanol byproducts. Results show that poultry is the most sensitive to ethanol production, followed by beef and pork.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Norwood, F. Bailey, 2005.
"Modeling Beef Quality Heterogeneity,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(03), pages 603-618, December.
- Anderson, David P. & Anderson, John D. & Sawyer, Jason, 2008. "Impact of the Ethanol Boom on Livestock and Dairy Industries: What Are They Going to Eat?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(02), August.
- Silvia Secchi & Bruce A. Babcock, 2007. "Impact of High Crop Prices on Environmental Quality: A Case of Iowa and the Conservation Reserve Program," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-wp447, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Tyner Wallace E., 2007. "Policy Alternatives for the Future Biofuels Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-13, December.
- Anderson, David & Anderson, John D. & Sawyer, Jason, 2008. "Impact of the Ethanol Boom on Livestock and Dairy Industries: What Are They Going to Eat?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 573-579, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49371. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.