Efficiency of a Biofuel Subsidy Policy in the Presence of Environmental Externalities
The object of this paper is to analyze, in a general equilibrium setting with four markets, the efficiency of a biofuel subsidy policy. The analysis takes into account environmental externalities associated both with the production and the consumption of biofuels, as well as associated with the production of agricultural raw material. Our preliminary numerical results, applied to the biodiesel subsidy policy in France, first show that this policy increases the utility of the representative consumer compared to the laissez-faire solution. The same policy action leads, however, to an increased level of agricultural and GHG emissions, in comparison with the laissez-faire solution.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gardner Bruce, 2007. "Fuel Ethanol Subsidies and Farm Price Support," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-22, December.
- Ryan, Lisa & Convery, Frank & Ferreira, Susana, 2006. "Stimulating the use of biofuels in the European Union: Implications for climate change policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 3184-3194, November.
- Tyner Wallace E., 2007. "Policy Alternatives for the Future Biofuels Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-13, December.
- Ofir D. Rubin & Miguel Carriquiry & Dermot J. Hayes, 2008. "Implied Objectives of U.S. Biofuel Subsidies," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp459, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Rajagopal, Deepak & Zilberman, David, 2007. "Review of environmental, economic and policy aspects of biofuels," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4341, The World Bank.
- Brännlund, Runar & Kriström, Bengt & Lundgren, Tommy & Marklund, Per-Olov, 2008. "The Economics of Biofuels," Umeå Economic Studies 736, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Lundgren, Tommy & Marklund, Per-Olov & Brannlund, Runar & Kristrom, Bengt, 2008. "The Economics of Biofuels," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, now publishers, vol. 2(3), pages 237-280, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae08:44399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.