Women Helping Women in Agricultural Economics? Same-Gender Mentoring and Early Career Research Productivity for Agricultural Economics Ph.D.s
This paper is the first to empirically examine the degree to which student outcomes differ across gender-mentorship configurations for agricultural economics Ph.D. recipients. Using a Negative Binomial regression model, we find that female students working with male advisors average statistically fewer total publications in their early careers than men working with male advisors.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan B. Krueger & Stephen Wu, 2000. "Forecasting Job Placements of Economics Graduate Students," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(1), pages 81-94, December.
- C. M. Gempesaw II & G. J. Elterich, 1989. "The Importance of International Students in the Academic Market for Agricultural Economists," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(2), pages 275-279.
- Orr, Daniel, 1993. "Reflections on the Hiring of Faculty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 39-43, May.
- Joe Davis & John Huston & Debra Patterson, 2001. "The scholarly output of economists: A description of publishing patterns," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(3), pages 341-349, September.
- Donna K. Ginther & Shulamit Kahn, 2004. "Women in Economics: Moving Up or Falling Off the Academic Career Ladder?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 193-214, Summer.
- Wendy A. Stock & John J. Siegfried, 2005.
"The Labor Market for New Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics Ph.D.s,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0504, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Wendy A. Stock & John J. Siegfried, 2006. "The Labor Market for New Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics Ph.D.s," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(1), pages 147-163.
- Sauer, Raymond D, 1988. "Estimates of the Returns to Quality and Coauthorship in Economic Academia," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 855-66, August.
- Hilmer, Christiana E. & Hilmer, Michael J., 2003. "A Descriptive And Econometric Analysis Of Annual Salaries, Gender, Experience, And Peer-Reviewed Publication Histories Within Top-Ranked Agricultural Economics Programs," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22053, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Perry, Gregory M., 1996. "Exploring The Role Of Mentoring In Agricultural Economics Ph.D. Training," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C. & Dominitz, Jeff & Lee Hansen, W., 1999. "Graduate training and the early career productivity of Ph.D. economists," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 65-77, February.
- Tom Coupé, 2003. "Revealed Performances: Worldwide Rankings of Economists and Economics Departments, 1990-2000," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1309-1345, December.
- David Neumark & Rosella Gardecki, 1998.
"Women Helping Women? Role Model and Mentoring Effects on Female Ph.D. Students in Economics,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 220-246.
- David Neumark & Rosella Gardecki, 1996. "Women Helping Women? Role-Model and Mentoring Effects on Female Ph.D. Student in Economics," NBER Working Papers 5733, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy D. Hoga, 1981. "Faculty Research Activity and the Quality of Graduate Training," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 16(3), pages 400-415.
- Moore, William J & Newman, Robert J & Turnbull, Geoffrey K, 1998. "Do Academic Salaries Decline with Seniority?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 352-66, April.
- Matthew J. Cushing & Mary G. McGarvey, 2004. "Sample Selection in Models of Academic Performance," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 319-322, April.
- Collins, Jeffery T & Cox, Richard Guy & Stango, Victor, 2000. "The Publishing Patterns of Recent Economics Ph.D. Recipients," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 358-67, April.
- Christiana E. Hilmer & Michael J. Hilmer, 2005. "How Do Journal Quality, Co-Authorship, and Author Order Affect Agricultural Economists' Salaries?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 509-523.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.