Phasing Out Of Environmentally Harmful Subsidies: Effects Of The Cap 2003 Reform
A core element of the recent Common Agricultural Policy reform is to decouple payments that are merely linked to production from 2005 on. These subsidies are classified as environmentally harmful by OECD. An agricultural sector model, using a modified version of the positive mathematical programming method, depicts the political, natural, and structural complexity of Austrian farming. Environmental effects of indicators that are linked to production and management measures are estimated. Simulation results show that the recent CAP reform will not only reduce the cost of production, but also improve the environmental condition of natural resources.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayri Önal & Bruce A. McCarl, 1991. "Exact Aggregation in Mathematical Programming Sector Models," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(2), pages 319-334, 07.
- Wier, Mette & Andersen, Johnny M. & Jensen, Jorgen D. & Jensen, Thomas C., 2002. "The EU's Agenda 2000 reform for the agricultural sector: environmental and economic effects in Denmark," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 345-359, May.
- Ottmar R�hm & Stephan Dabbert, 2003. "Integrating Agri-Environmental Programs into Regional Production Models: An Extension of Positive Mathematical Programming," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 254-265.
- Franz Sinabell & Erwin Schmid, 2003. "Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy and its Impact on the Austrian Agricultural Sector," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 76(6), pages 425-440, June.
- Onal, Hayri & McCarl, Bruce A, 1989. "Aggregation of Heterogeneous Firms in Mathematical Programming Models," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 16(4), pages 499-513.
- van Beers, Cees & van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M., 2001. "Perseverance of perverse subsidies and their impact on trade and environment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 475-486, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:20169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.