Consolidation In The Fresh Florida Grapefruit Packing Industry
First-order, homogeneous, stationary Markov models are used to compare patterns of adjustment among Florida fresh grapefruit packers between the 1970/71-1983/84 and 1987/88-1999/00 periods, and 1970/71-1994/95 and 1995/95-1999/00 periods, respectively. Despite sweeping aggregate trends impacting fresh produce markets, there was insufficient evidence to identify significant differences in the patterns of adjustment in the packing sector during the later time periods. Comparisons with actual firm numbers are indicative of an industry near equilibrium. While individual firms enter and exit the different states, currently there are no profound structural changes pointing to major concentration.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaufman, Phillip R. & Handy, Charles R. & McLaughlin, Edward W. & Park, Kristen & Green, Geoffrey M., 2000. "Understanding The Dynamics Of Produce Markets: Consumption And Consolidation Grow," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33747, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Elmer, Nicole A. & Thurow, Amy Purvis & Johnson, Jason L. & Rosson, C. Parr, III, 2001. "An Ex Ante Assessment Of Investments In Texas Grapefruit Under Uncertainty," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(03), December.
- Calvin, Linda & Cook, Roberta L. & Denbaly, Mark & Dimitri, Carolyn & Glaser, Lewrene K. & Handy, Charles R. & Jekanowski, Mark D. & Kaufman, Phillip R. & Krissoff, Barry & Thompson, Gary D. & Thornsb, 2001. "U.S. Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Marketing: Emerging Trade Practices, Trends, and Issues," Agricultural Economics Reports 33915, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- M. C. Hallberg, 1969. "Projecting the Size Distribution of Agricultural Firms—An Application of a Markov Process with Non-Stationary Transition Probabilities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 51(2), pages 289-302.
- Kaufman, Phillip R., 1999. "Food Retailing Consolidation: Implications For Supply Chain Management Practices," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(1), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea02:19815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.