Globalization, Financial Development and Regional Economic Dynamics: asymmetric panel evidence from Africa
This paper examines how regionalization in the face of globalization has affected financial development in the context of banking system efficiency in Africa. Results which are robust to financial system efficiency and growth-led-finance nexus reveal that in the post-regionalization era: (1) UEMOA and CEMAC regional banks’ ability to finance credit by deposits has reduced; (2) financial institutions of COMESA have improved their capacity to fund openness related activities/projects with deposits; (3) increase in welfare has positively affected the intermediary role of banks; (4) globalization tends to be more detrimental to financial systems of ‘economic and monetary’ regions than to those of purely economic regions. As a policy implication, national and regional authorities should gain knowledge of the fact that with openness, the role of domestic and regional banks seems to lessen in the funding of openness related activities and projects. Much needs to be done on the improvement of infrastructure that curtails information asymmetry in the banking industry.
|Date of creation:||19 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.afridev.org/index.php/en/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberta B. Staub & Geraldo Souza & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2009.
"Evolution of Bank Efficiency in Brazil: A DEA Approach,"
Working Papers Series
200, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Staub, Roberta B. & da Silva e Souza, Geraldo & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2010. "Evolution of bank efficiency in Brazil: A DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 204-213, April.
- Mariana Spatareanu & Vlad Manole, 2009.
"Trade openness and income ?a re-examination,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
24309, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon & Lin, Shu-Chin & Suen, Yu-Bo, 2010. "Dynamic effects of trade openness on financial development," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 254-261, January.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1992. "The Case for Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 69-85, Winter.
- Sandrine Kablan, 2009. "Banking Efficiency and Financial Development in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 11(2), pages 28-50.
- Gries, Thomas & Kraft, Manfred & Meierrieks, Daniel, 2009.
"Linkages Between Financial Deepening, Trade Openness, and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1849-1860, December.
- Thomas Gries & Manfred Kraft & Daniel Meierrieks, 2008. "Linkages between Financial Deepening,Trade Openness and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers CIE 15, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sandrine Kablan, 2010. "Banking Efficiency and Financial Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 10/136, International Monetary Fund.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:agd:wpaper:11/008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Asongu Simplice)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.