The Level and Distribution of Economic Well-Being
In: The American Economy in Transition
This paper summarizes and critically evaluates what is known about postwar trends in both the level and distribution of economic well-being. Although certain non-income aspects of well-being are considered, the primary focus is on the level and inequality of income. Considerable attention is paid to recent controversies over the effects of transfers in kind and changing life-cycle income patterns on the overall trend in income inequality.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
11300.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:11300||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blinder, Alan S, 1976. "Inequality and Mobility in the Distribution of Wealth," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 607-38.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Timothy M. Smeeding, 1977. "The Antipoverty Effectiveness of In-Kind Transfers," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 12(3), pages 360-378.
- Rivlin, Alice M, 1975. "Income Distribution-Can Economists Help?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 1-15, May.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973.
"Some further results on the measurement of inequality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 188-204, April.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1972. "Some Further Results on the Measurement of Inequality," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 344, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stigler, George J, 1973. "General Economic Conditions and National Elections," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 160-67, May.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1978. "The Burden of Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 649-71, August.
- Morgan, James N & Smith, James D, 1969. "Measures of Economic Well-Offness and Their Correlates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 450-62, May.
- Shorrocks, Anthony, 1978. "Income inequality and income mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 376-393, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:11300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.