Dominance Criteria for Critical-Level Generalized Utilitarianism
Social welfare dominance criteria based on critical-level generalized utilitarian social welfare functions are investigated. An analogue of a generalized Lorenz curve called a generalized concentration curve is introduced. For a fixed critical utility level c, a partial order of utility distributions based on these curves is defined and shown to coincide with the partial order obtained by declaring one utility distribution to be weakly preferred to a second if and only if the former is weakly preferred to the latter for all inequality averse critical-level c generalized utilitarian social welfare functions. An extension of this result that allows for a range of critical levels is also established.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/wparchive/index.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Blackorby & Walter Bossert & David Donaldson, 1996. "Quasi-orderings and population ethics," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 13(2), pages 129-150, April.
- Blackorby,Charles & Bossert,Walter & Donaldson,David J., 2005.
"Population Issues in Social Choice Theory, Welfare Economics, and Ethics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521532587, December.
- Blackorby,Charles & Bossert,Walter & Donaldson,David J., 2005. "Population Issues in Social Choice Theory, Welfare Economics, and Ethics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521825511, December.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- BLACKORBY, Charles & DONALDSON, David & WEYMARK, John A., .
"A normative approach to industrial-performance evaluation and concentration indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
483, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1982. "A normative approach to industrial-performance evaluation and concentration indices," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 89-121.
- Walter Bossert & David Donaldson & Charles Blackorby, 1998. "Uncertainty and critical-level population principles," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 11(1), pages 1-20.
- Broome, John, 2006.
Oxford University Press, number 9780199297702, December.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1984. "Social criteria for evaluating population change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 13-33, November.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Jantti, Markus, 2005. "Methods for summarizing and comparing wealth distributions," ISER Working Paper Series 2005-05, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Amiel, Yoram & Cowell, Frank & Polovin, Avraham, 1996. "Inequality among the Kibbutzim," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages S63-85, Suppl..
- P. S. Dasgupta, 1969. "On the Concept of Optimum Population," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 295-318.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931, December.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1972.
"Some Further Results on the Measurement of Inequality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
344, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Some further results on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 188-204, April.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:van:wpaper:0707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.