Utilitarianism or welfarism: does it make a difference?
We show that it is possible to reconcile the utilitarian and welfarist principles under the requirement of unanimity provided that the set of profiles over which the consensus is attained is rich enough. More precisely, we identify a closedness condition which, if satisfied by a class of n-tuples of utility functions, guarantees that the rankings of social states induced by utilitarian and welfarist unanimities over that class are identical. We illustrate the importance of the result for the measurement of unidimensional as well as multidimensional inequalities from a dominance point of view. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2009.
"Household decisions and equivalence scales,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 1039-1062, October.
- Fleurbaey, M. & Hagnere, C. & Trannoy, A., 1998.
"Welfare Comparisons with Bounded Equivalence Scales,"
9823, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Hagnere, Cyrille & Trannoy, Alain, 2003. "Welfare comparisons with bounded equivalence scales," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 309-336, June.
- M. Fleurbaey & C. Hagneré & A. Trannoy, 1998. "Welfare comparisons with bounded equivalence scales," THEMA Working Papers 98-23, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Whitmore, G A, 1970. "Third-Degree Stochastic Dominance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 457-59, June.
- Moulin, Herve, 1994. "Social choice," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 31, pages 1091-1125 Elsevier.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1982. "Ratio-Scale and Translation-Scale Full Interpersonal Comparability without Domain Restrictions: Admissible Social-Evaluation Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(2), pages 249-68, June.
- Udo Ebert, 2004. "Social welfare, inequality, and poverty when needs differ," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 415-448, December.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973.
"Some further results on the measurement of inequality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 188-204, April.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1972. "Some Further Results on the Measurement of Inequality," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 344, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shorrocks, Anthony, 2004. "Inequality and Welfare Evaluation of Heterogeneous Income Distributions," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Ekern, Steinar, 1981.
"Time Dominance Efficiency Analysis,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 36(5), pages 1023-34, December.
- Bohren, Oyvind & Hansen, Terje, 1980. " Capital Budgeting with Unspecified Discount Rates," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(1), pages 45-58.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2007.
"Utilitarianism for infinite utility streams: A new welfare criterion and its axiomatic characterization,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 350-373, March.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003. "Utilitarianism for Infinite Utility Streams: A New Welfare Criterion and Its Axiomatic Characterization," Working Papers 03-05, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Lambert, Peter J, 1993. "Ranking Income Distributions When Needs Differ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(4), pages 337-56, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521532587 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick MOYES (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Nicolas GRAVEL (Aix-Marseille University and AMSE (GREQAM)), 2011.
"Ethically Robust Comparisons of Bidimensional Distributions with an Ordinal Attribute,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2011-36, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Gravel, Nicolas & Moyes, Patrick, 2012. "Ethically robust comparisons of bidimensional distributions with an ordinal attribute," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1384-1426.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521825511 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shorrocks, Anthony F & Foster, James E, 1987. "Transfer Sensitive Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 485-97, July.
- Karcher, T. & Moyes, P. & Trannoy, Y., 1993. "The Stochastic Dominance Ordering of Income Distributions of Over Time. I," Papers 9304, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Patrick MOYES (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2011. "Rearrangements and Sequential Rank Order Dominance. A Result with Economic Applications," Cahiers du GREThA 2011-35, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Simo Puntanen, 2011. "Inequalities: Theory of Majorization and Its Applications, Second Edition by Albert W. Marshall, Ingram Olkin, Barry C. Arnold," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 79(2), pages 293-293, 08.
- N. GRAVEL & Patrick MOYES (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008. "Bidimensional Inequalities with an Ordinal Variable," Cahiers du GREThA 2008-14, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Cyrille Hagneré & Alain Trannoy, 2007. "Welfare Comparisons of Income Distributions and Family Size," IDEP Working Papers 0702, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 16 Jan 2007.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931, March.
- Anthony Shorrocks, 2004. "Inequality and welfare evaluation of heterogeneous income distributions," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 193-218, July.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1977. "On Weights and Measures: Informational Constraints in Social Welfare Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1539-72, October.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1989. "Family size and social utility : Income distribution dominance criteria," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 67-80, September.
- Peter C. Fishburn, 1978. "Stochastic Dominance Without Transitive Preferences," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(12), pages 1268-1277, August.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521443401 is not listed on IDEAS
- Madden, Paul, 1996. "Suppes-Sen dominance, generalised Lorenz dominance and the welfare economics of competitive equilibrium: Some examples," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 247-262, August.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1977. "Utility vs equity : Some plausible quasi-orderings," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 365-381, June.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Le Breton, Michel, 1987. "Stochastic dominance: A bibliographical rectification and a restatement of whitmore's theorem," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 73-79, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:40:y:2013:i:2:p:529-551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.