Rearrangements and Sequential Rank Order Dominance. A Result with Economic Applications
Distributive analysis typically involves comparisons of heterogeneous distributions where\r\nindividuals differ in more than just one attribute. In the particular case where there are two\r\nattributes and where the distribution of one of these two attributes is fixed, one can appeal\r\nto sequential rank order dominance for comparing distributions. We consider the degenerate\r\ncase where all individuals differ with respect to the attribute whose distribution is fixed and we show that sequential rank order domination of one distribution over another implies that the dominating distribution can be obtained from the dominated one by means of a finite sequence of favourable permutations, and conversely. We provide three examples where favourable permutations prove to have interesting implications from a normative point of view.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.75
Fax: +33 (0)22.214.171.124.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C. Fishburn, 1978. "Stochastic Dominance Without Transitive Preferences," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(12), pages 1268-1277, August.
- Moyes, Patrick, 2012.
"Comparisons of heterogeneous distributions and dominance criteria,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1351-1383.
- Patrick MOYES (GREThA et IDEP Marseille), 2011. "Comparisons of Heterogeneous Distributions and Dominance Criteria," Cahiers du GREThA 2011-23, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Ekern, Steinar, 1981. "Time Dominance Efficiency Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(5), pages 1023-1034, December.
- Steinar Ekern., 1980. "Time Dominance Efficiency Analysis," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 105, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bohren, Oyvind & Hansen, Terje, 1980. " Capital Budgeting with Unspecified Discount Rates," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(1), pages 45-58.
- A. B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)