Bidimensional Inequalities with an Ordinal Variable
We investigate the normative foundations of two empirically implementable dominance criteria for comparing distributions of two attributes, where the first one is cardinal while the second is ordinal. The criteria we consider are Atkinson and Bourguignon\'s (1982) first quasi-ordering and a generalization of Bourguignon\'s (1989) ordered poverty gap criterion. In each case we specify the restrictions to be placed on the individual utility functions, which guarantee that all utility-inequality averse welfarist ethical observers will rank the distributions under comparison in the same way as the dominance criterion. We also identify the elementary inequality reducing transformations successive applications of which permit to derive the dominating distribution from the dominated one.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.75
Fax: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1989. "Family size and social utility : Income distribution dominance criteria," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 67-80, September.
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes & Benoît Tarroux, 2009.
"Robust international comparisons of distributions of disposable income and regional public goods,"
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes & Beno�T Tarroux, 2009. "Robust International Comparisons of Distributions of Disposable Income and Regional Public Goods," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(303), pages 432-461, 07.
- Patrick Moyes & Nicolas Gravel, 2007.
"Ethically robust comprisons of distributions of two individual attributes,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Patrick Moyes & Nicolas Gravel, 2010. "Ethically robust comparisons of distributions of two individual attributes," Post-Print hal-00796074, HAL.
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes, 2006. "Ethically Robust Comparisons of Distributions of Two Individual Attributes," IDEP Working Papers 0605, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised Aug 2006.
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Hagnere, Cyrille & Trannoy, Alain, 2003.
"Welfare comparisons with bounded equivalence scales,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 309-336, June.
- M. Fleurbaey & C. Hagneré & A. Trannoy, 1998. "Welfare comparisons with bounded equivalence scales," THEMA Working Papers 98-23, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Fleurbaey, M. & Hagnere, C. & Trannoy, A., 1998. "Welfare Comparisons with Bounded Equivalence Scales," Papers 9823, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Howe, Roger, 1987. "Sections and extensions of concave functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-64, February.
- Ebert U., 1996.
"Income inequality and differences in household size,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 57-58, February.
- Ebert, Udo, 1995. "Income inequality and differences in household size," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 37-55, August.
- N. Gravel & Patrick Moyes & B. Tarroux, 2008. "Robust international comparisons of distributions of disposable income and access to regional public goods," Post-Print hal-00157357, HAL.
- James Foster & Luis Lopez-Calva & Miguel Szekely, 2005. "Measuring the Distribution of Human Development: methodology and an application to Mexico," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 5-25.
- Stephen Bazen & Patrick Moyes, 2003. "International comparisons of income distributions when population structures differ," Post-Print hal-00156458, HAL.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Allison, R. Andrew & Foster, James E., 2004. "Measuring health inequality using qualitative data," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 505-524, May.
- Ebert, Udo, 2000. "Sequential Generalized Lorenz Dominance and Transfer Principles," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 113-22, April.
- Alain Trannoy & Christophe Muller, 2004.
"A Dominance Approach To Well-Being Inequality Across Countries,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Christophe Muller & Alain Trannoy, 2003. "A Dominance Approach to Well-Being Inequality across Countries," IDEP Working Papers 0313, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Larry G. Epstein & Stephen M. Tanny, 1980. "Increasing Generalized Correlation: A Definition and Some Economic Consequences," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 16-34, February.
- Patrick MOYES (GREThA et IDEP Marseille), 2011.
"Comparisons of Heterogeneous Distributions and Dominance Criteria,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2011-23, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Moyes, Patrick, 2012. "Comparisons of heterogeneous distributions and dominance criteria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1351-1383.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1979. "Equity in Two Person Situations: Some Consequences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1127-35, September.
- Udo Ebert, 2008. "Living Standard, Social Welfare, and the Redistribution of Income in a Heterogeneous Population," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(5), pages 873-889, October.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13.
- Fields, Gary S & Fei, John C H, 1978. "On Inequality Comparisons," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 303-16, March.
- A. B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Lambert, Peter J, 1993. "Ranking Income Distributions When Needs Differ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(4), pages 337-56, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2008-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.