Unions and Employment in Uruguay
In: Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean
This study examines the impact of unions on wages and employment using data from Uruguay in a period when unions were banned (1973-1984), then legalized with tripartite bargaining (1984-1991) followed by industry-wide or firm-specific bargaining (1992-1997). The paper begins with background on the economy, the labor market, and collective bargaining in Uruguay (Section II), followed by a brief theoretical overview on unions and labor demand (Section III) and a description of the data (Section IV). The labor demand results (Section V) indicate a structural shift in the labor demand function occurred at about the same time as the return of collective bargaining.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
10075.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:10075||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Machin, Stephen J & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1991. "The Effects of Unions on Organisational Change and Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 835-54, July.
- Allen, Steven G, 1986.
"Union Work Rules and Efficiency in the Building Trades,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(2), pages 212-42, April.
- Steven G. Allen, 1985. "Union Work Rules and Efficiency in the Building Trades," NBER Working Papers 1733, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carruth, Alan A & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "On Union Preferences and Labour Market Models: Insiders and Outsi ders," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(386), pages 431-45, June.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Pfann, Gerard Antonie, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1371, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adriana Cassoni & Zuleika Ferré, 1997. "Costos no salariales en el mercado de trabajo del Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0897, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Philippe Aghion & Gilles Saint-Paul, 1998.
"Uncovering Some Causal Relationships Between Productivity Growth and the Structure of Economic Fluctuations: A Tentative Survey,"
CEIS, vol. 12(2), pages 279-303, 07.
- Philippe Aghion & Gilles Saint-Paul, 1993. "Uncovering Some Causal Relationships between Productivity Growth and the Structure of Economic Fluctuations: A Tentative Survey," NBER Working Papers 4603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boal, William M & Pencavel, John, 1994. "The Effects of Labor Unions on Employment, Wages, and Days of Operation: Coal Mining in West Virginia," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 267-98, February.
- Rama, Martin, 1997. "Organized Labor and the Political Economy of Product Market Distortions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 327-55, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Burgess, Simon M & Dolado, Juan J, 1989. "Intertemporal Rules with Variable Speed of Adjustment: An Application to U.K. Manufacturing Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(396), pages 347-65, June.
- Steven Allen & Adriana Cassoni & Gastón J. Labadie, 1994. "Labor market flexibility and unemployment in Chile and Uruguay," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 21(esp Year ), pages 127-146, November.
- Steven G Allen & Adriana Cassoni & Gastón J Labadie, 1996. "Wages and Employment After Reunionization in Uruguay," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 33(99), pages 277-294.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:10075. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.