Opening up telecommunications to competition and MENA integration in the world economy
This paper investigates the potential impact of opening up telecommunications to competition in MENA on this sector performance and on the participation of the region in the world economy. The latter is assessed with respect to manufactured exports, participation in production network and attractiveness of FDI. The paper first introduces a model to assess the benefits of telecommunications liberalization on sector performance. The assessment is based on three key factors: (i) degree of effective competition in fixed and mobile networks; (ii) openness to foreign investment; and (iii) pro-competitive regulation. The results confirm that liberalization and open markets are conducive to higher efficiency in the telecommunications sector. Regarding the integration of the region in the World economy, the analysis confirms that, after controlling for the influence of other structural factors, better performance of telecommunications strengthens export performance in manufacturing including exports of intermediate products. Moreover, by facilitating linkages with transnational production networks and reducing the cost of doing business, better telecommunications sector performance is found to be a determinant of foreign direct investment inflows in developing countries. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2006.
"Measuring Services Trade Liberalization and Its Impact on Economic Growth: An Illustration,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 64-98.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep & Subramanian, Arvind, 2001. "Measuring services trade liberalization and its impact on economic growth : an illustration," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2655, The World Bank.
- Lucas, Robert E. B., 1993. "On the determinants of direct foreign investment: Evidence from East and Southeast Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 391-406, March.
- Sekkat, Khalid & Varoudakis, Aristomene, 2000.
"Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7342, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1998. "Exchange-Rate Management and Manufactured Exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 134, OECD Publishing.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- David L. Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Staff Reports 72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Gene M. Grossman, 1981.
"Trade and Protection with Multistage Production,"
NBER Working Papers
0794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Peter Cowhey & Mikhail M. Klimenko, 2000. "Telecommunications reform in developing countries after the WTO agreement on basic telecommunications services," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 265-281.
- Schneider, Friedrich & Frey, Bruno S., 1985. "Economic and political determinants of foreign direct investment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 161-175, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:17:y:2005:i:7:p:931-955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.