Heterogeneity in the likelihood of market advisory service use by U.S. crop producers
Analysis of a unique data set of 1,400 U.S. crop producers using a mixture-modeling framework shows that the likelihood of Marketing Advisory Services (MAS) use is, among others, driven by the perceived performance of MAS in terms of return and risk reduction, the match between the MAS and the crop producer's marketing philosophy, and the interaction between them. The influence of these factors on crop producers' MAS usage is not homogeneous across crop producers. The heterogeneity is played out in different MAS choices and appears to be driven by crop producers' risk attitudes. [EconLit citations: D210, D400, L100, L200, M310, Q120, Q130.] © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 21: 109-128, 2005.
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Philip Garcia, 2001. "Measuring Producers' Risk Preferences: A Global Risk-Attitude Construct," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 993-1009.
- Coble, Keith H. & Knight, Thomas O. & Patrick, George F. & Baquet, Alan E., 1999. "Crop Producer Risk Management Survey: A Preliminary Summary Of Selected Data; A Report From The Understanding Farmer Risk Management Decision Making And Educational Needs Research Project," Information Reports 15805, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Gerald F. Ortmann & George F. Patrick & Wesley N. Musser & D. Howard Doster, 1993. "Use of private consultants and other sources of information by large cornbelt farmers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 391-402.
- Michael J. Ginzberg, 1981. "Early Diagnosis of MIS Implementation Failure: Promising Results and Unanswered Questions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 459-478, April.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Scott H. Irwin & Darrel L. Good, 2002. "Surveying Farmers: A Case Study," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 266-277.
- Michel Wedel & Wayne DeSarbo, 1995. "A mixture likelihood approach for generalized linear models," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 21-55, March.
- Peter Arcidiacono & John Bailey Jones, 2003.
"Finite Mixture Distributions, Sequential Likelihood and the EM Algorithm,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 933-946, 05.
- Arcidiacono, Peter & Jones, John B., 2000. "Finite Mixture Distribution, Sequential Likelihood, and the EM Algorithm," Working Papers 00-16, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992.
"Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993. " Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-58, December.
- Wittink, Dick R & Krishnamurthi, Lakshman & Nutter, Julia B, 1982. " Comparing Derived Importance Weights Across Attributes," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 471-74, March.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Kastens, Terry L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 1998. "Perceptions Of Marketing Strategies: Producers Versus Extension Economists," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Ale Smidts, 2000. "Assessing the Construct Validity of Risk Attitude," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(10), pages 1337-1348, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:21:y:2005:i:1:p:109-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.