Understanding heterogeneous preferences of cooperative members
We study the heterogeneity in the preference structure of cooperative members. Using conjoint analysis the utility that members attach to intra-organizational and strategic attributes of their cooperative is elicited. Recognizing that members are not homogenous, a concomitant finite-mixture regression model is employed to allow preferences to vary across different member segments. With data from 120 cooperative members, we find that most members demonstrate rather similar preferences for strategic attributes but differ with respect to the intra-organizational attributes of control and management. Members' preference structures are affected by business size and attitudes towards risk. [EconLit Citations: Q130; M000, C400]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zusman, Pinhas, 1992. "Constitutional selection of collective-choice rules in a cooperative enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 353-362, May.
- Hamparsum Bozdogan, 1987. "Model selection and Akaike's Information Criterion (AIC): The general theory and its analytical extensions," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 345-370, September.
- K. Oustapassidis & A. Vlachvei & K. Karantininis, 1998. "Growth of Investor Owned and Cooperative Firms in Greek Dairy Industry," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 399-417, 09.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2001. "Cooperative and Membership Commitment: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1280-1281.
- James G. March & Zur Shapira, 1987. "Managerial Perspectives on Risk and Risk Taking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(11), pages 1404-1418, November.
- Dillon, William R & Frederick, Donald G & Tangpanichdee, Vanchai, 1985. " Decision Issues in Building Perceptual Product Spaces with Multi-attribute Rating Data," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 47-63, June.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Gow, Hamish R., 2005.
"Strategic Positioning Under Agricultural Structural Change: A Critique of Long Jump Co-operative Ventures,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 8(02).
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Gow, Hamish R., 2000. "Strategic Positioning Under Agricultural Structural Change: A Critique of Long Jump Co-operative Ventures," 2000 Annual Meeting, December 12-13 31809, NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Gow, Hamish R., 2001. "Strategic Positioning Under Agricultural Structural Change: A Critique Of Long Jump Co-Operative Ventures," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20645, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sterns, James A. & Schweikhardt, David B. & Peterson, H. Christopher, 1998. "Using Case Studies As An Approach For Conducting Agribusiness Research," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 1(03).
- Sterns, James A. & Schweikhardt, David B. & Peterson, H. Christopher, 1998. "Using Case Studies As An Approach For Conducting Agribusiness Research," Staff Papers 11545, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Michel Wedel & Wayne DeSarbo, 1995. "A mixture likelihood approach for generalized linear models," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 12(1), pages 21-55, March.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Ale Smidts, 2000. "Assessing the Construct Validity of Risk Attitude," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(10), pages 1337-1348, October.
- Bijman, W.J.J. & Hendrikse, G.W.J., 2003. "Co-operatives in chains: institutional restructuring in the Dutch fruit and vegetables industry," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-089-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Pennings, Joost M. E. & Garcia, Philip, 2004. "Hedging behavior in small and medium-sized enterprises: The role of unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 951-978, May.
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2001. "Organizational Commitment in a Mixed Oligopoly: Agricultural Cooperatives and Investor-Owned Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1258-1265.
- H. Christopher Peterson & Bruce L. Anderson, 1996. "Cooperative strategy: Theory and practice," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 371-383.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Raymond M. Leuthold, 2000. "The Role of Farmers' Behavioral Attitudes and Heterogeneity in Futures Contracts Usage," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 908-919.
- van Dijk, Gert & Mackel, Chris, 1991. "Dutch Agriculture Seeking for Market Leader Strategies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 18(3-4), pages 345-364.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Michael L. Cook, 2004. "Understanding New Cooperative Models: An Ownership–Control Rights Typology," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 348-360. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:1:p:90-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.