Firm Size, Ownership and Performance in the Malaysian Palm Oil Industry
The objective of this study is to analyse the effects of market structure components and other performance measures to better understand the dynamics and determinants of performance within the Malaysian palm oil sector. In particular, we consider the effects of firm size and firm ownership on the level of profitability in this sector. Our findings suggest that size is negatively related to performance while privately owned plantation companies are more profitably managed. These results support the recent move by the Malaysian government to postpone the listing of the Federal Land Development Authority (FELDA), a government agency responsible for managing government land schemes and commercial development of plantations. It also lends support to the ongoing strategy of improving the performance of Government Linked Corporations (GLC) in Malaysia.
Volume (Year): 1 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://web.usm.my/aamj/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shepherd, William G, 1972. "The Elements of Market Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(1), pages 25-37, February.
- Collins, Norman R & Preston, Lee E, 1969. "Price-Cost Margins and Industry Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 271-286, August.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Noel Capon & John U. Farley & Scott Hoenig, 1990. "Determinants of Financial Performance: A Meta-Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(10), pages 1143-1159, October.
- Poensgen, O. H. & Marx, M., 1985. "Coping with or profiting from size," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 127-147, November.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-452, June.
- Whittington, Geoffrey, 1980. "The Profitability and Size of United Kingdom Companies, 1960-74," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(4), pages 335-352, June.
- N. Jayaram & Surendra K. Gupta & A.P. Barnabas & Sachchidananda & P.S. Pachauri & M.L. Khattar & B.N. Sampath & H. R. Khanna, 1985. "India," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, Indian Council of World Affairs, vol. 41(1), pages 177-179, January.
- Scott, John T & Pascoe, George, 1986. "Beyond Firm and Industry Effects on Profitability in Imperfect Market s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 284-292, May.
- Ramamurti, Ravi, 1997. "Testing the limits of privatization: Argentine railroads," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1973-1993, December.
- Bothwell, James L & Cooley, Thomas F & Hall, Thomas E, 1984. "A New View of the Market Structure-Performance Debate," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 397-417, June.
- Marcus, Matityahu, 1969. "Profitability and Size of Firm: Some Further Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(1), pages 104-107, February.
- Dalton, James A & Penn, David W, 1976. "The Concentration-Profitability Relationship: Is There a Critical Concentration Ratio?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 133-142, December.
- Qian Sun & Wilson H.S. Tong, 2002. "Malaysia Privatization: A Comprehensive Study," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
- Chrystal, K. Alec & Lipsey, Richard G., 1997. "Economics for Business and Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198775386, December.
- Prescott, Edward C & Visscher, Michael, 1980. "Organization Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(3), pages 446-461, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usm:journl:aamjaf00101_81-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journal Division, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.