The Political Economy of Truth-in-Advertising Regulation during the Progressive Era
This paper explores the origins and effects of truth-in-advertising regulation during the Progressive Era. Was advertising regulation adopted in response to rent seeking on the part of firms that sought to limit the availability of advertising as a competitive device, or was advertising regulation desired because it furnished a mechanism through which firms could improve the credibility of advertising? We find the available evidence to be more consistent with the latter hypothesis. (c) 2008 by The University of Chicago. All rights reserved..
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1978. "A Model of Advertising and Product Quality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(3), pages 485-503, June.
- Kim, Sukkoo, 1999. "The Rise of Multiunit Firms in U.S. Manufacturing," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 360-386, October.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- Cady, John F, 1976. "An Estimate of the Price Effects of Restrictions on Drug Price Advertising," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(4), pages 493-510, December.
- Gilligan, Thomas W & Marshall, William J & Weingast, Barry R, 1989.
"Regulation and the Theory of Legislative Choice: The Interstate Commerce Act of 1887,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 35-61, April.
- Gilligan, Thomas W. & Marshall, William J. & Weingast, Barry R., 1987. "Regulation and the Theory of Legislative Choice: The Interstate Commerce Act of 1887," Working Papers 628, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1986.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 796-821, August.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1984. "Advertising and the Price and Quality of Optometric Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(1), pages 211-16, March.
- Thomas W. Ross, 1984.
"Store Wars: The Chain Tax Movement,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
34, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Butters, Gerard R, 1977. "Equilibrium Distributions of Sales and Advertising Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 465-91, October.
- McCluskey, Jill J., 2000.
"A Game Theoretic Approach To Organic Foods: An Analysis Of Asymmetric Information And Policy,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- McCluskey, Jill J., 1999. "A Game Theoretic Approach to Organic Foods: An Analysis of Asymmetric Information and Policy," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123706, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Sukkoo Kim, 2001. "Markets and Multiunit Firms from an American Historical Perspective," NBER Working Papers 8232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benham, Lee, 1972. "The Effect of Advertising on the Price of Eyeglasses," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 337-52, October.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 2001.
"The Rise of the Regulatory State,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1934, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gary D. Libecap, 1991.
"The Rise of the Chicago Packers and the Origins of Meat Inspection and Antitrust,"
NBER Historical Working Papers
0029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Libecap, Gary D, 1992. "The Rise of the Chicago Packers and the Origins of Meat Inspection and Antitrust," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(2), pages 242-62, April.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlawec:v:51:y:2008:i:2:p:251-269. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.