Job Search, Hours Restrictions, and Desired Hours of Work
A structural empirical job search model is presented that incorporates the labor supply decision of individuals. The arrival of a job offer is modeled as a random draw from a wage-hours offer distribution. Subjective information is used on desired working hours to identify optimal hours from offered hours. Policy simulations are performed to address several policy questions: Does a decrease in unemployment benefits lead to the acceptance of jobs with less preferred working hours? How does a decrease in the length of the standard working week affect the job acceptance behavior of the unemployed?
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Ham, 1982. "Estimation of a Labour Supply Model with Censoring Due to Unemployment and Underemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 335-354.
- Bloemen, Hans G., 1997.
"Job search theory, labour supply and unemployment duration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 305-325, August.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1992. "Job Search Theory, Labour Supply and Unemployment Duration," Papers 9250, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1992. "Job search theory, labour supply and unemployment duration," Discussion Paper 1992-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bloemen, Hans G., 2000. "A model of labour supply with job offer restrictions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 297-312, May.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1992. "A Model of Labour Supply with Job Offer Restrictions," Papers 9239, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1998. "A Model of Labour Supply With Job Offer Restrictions," Discussion Paper 1998-140, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1992. "A model of labour supply with job offer restrictions," Discussion Paper 1992-39, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dickens, William T & Lundberg, Shelly J, 1993. "Hours Restrictions and Labor Supply," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 169-192, February.
- William T. Dickens & Shelly J. Lundberg, 1985. "Hours Restrictions and Labor Supply," NBER Working Papers 1638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993. "Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990. "Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Blau, David M. & Robins, Philip K., 1986. "Job search, wage offers, and unemployment insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 173-197, March.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1988. "Chi-square diagnostic tests for econometric models : Introduction and applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 135-156, January.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Christina H. Paxson, 1992. "Labor Supply, Hours Constraints, and Job Mobility," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 27(2), pages 256-278.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Christina H. Paxson, 1990. "Labor Supply, Hours Constraints and Job Mobility," NBER Working Papers 3474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-694, July.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1988. "Chi-Square Diagnostic Tests for Econometric Models: Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1419-1453, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)