Testing the predictive value of subjective labour supply data
Empirical implementation of labour supply theories is usually based on actual hours of work. This requires strong assumptions on the impact of labour demand. To avoid these assumptions, subjective data on desired labour supply can be used. In this paper we investigate whether respondents' answers to survey questions on the desired number of working hours contain additional information on the respondents' preferences. Using panel data for the Netherlands, we analyse whether deviations between desired hours and actual hours of work help to predict future changes in the respondents' actual working hours. We use parametric and recently developed non-parametric tests. The results show that information on desired working hours is helpful in explaining female labour supply. For males the evidence is mixed. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 13 (1998)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/ |
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Altonji, Joseph G & Paxson, Christina H, 1988.
"Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Trade-Offs,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(2), pages 254-76, April.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Christina H. Paxson, 1987. "Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Tradeoffs," NBER Working Papers 2121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Altonji & Christina Paxson, 1987. "Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Tradeoffs," Working Papers 594, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Biddle, Jeff E, 1988. "Intertemporal Substitution and Hours Restrictions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 347-51, May.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-94, July.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990.
"A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-58, November.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989. "A consistent conditional moment test of functional form," Serie Research Memoranda 0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Ilmakunnas, Seija & Pudney, Stephen, 1990. "A model of female labour supply in the presence of hours restrictions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 183-210, March.
- Charlier, G.W.P. & Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1995. "A smoothed maximum score estimator for the binary choice panel data model with an application to labour force participation," Other publications TiSEM 93782c09-3feb-455f-bf00-0, School of Economics and Management.
- Blundell, Richard & Ham, John & Meghir, Costas, 1987.
"Unemployment and Female Labour Supply,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 44-64, Supplemen.
- Douglas, Stratford M & Conway, Karen Smith & Ferrier, Gary D, 1995. "A Switching Frontier Model for Imperfect Sample Separation Information: With an Application to Constrained Labor Supply," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(2), pages 503-29, May.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae & Andrews, Donald W. K., 1993.
"Tests of specification for parametric and semiparametric models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 277-318.
- Yoon-Jae Whang & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1991. "Tests of Specification for Parametric and Semiparametric Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 968, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Euwals, R.W. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1996.
"Desired and Actual Labour Supply of Unmarried Men and Women in the Netherlands,"
1996-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Euwals, Rob & van Soest, Arthur, 1999. "Desired and actual labour supply of unmarried men and women in the Netherlands," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-118, March.
- Rilstone, Paul, 1991. "Nonparametric Hypothesis Testing with Parametric Rates of Convergence," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 209-27, February.
- Shulamit Kahn & Kevin Lang, 1988.
"The Effects of Hours Constraints on Labor Supply Estimates,"
NBER Working Papers
2647, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahn, Shulamit & Lang, Kevin, 1991. "The Effect of Hours Constraints on Labor Supply Estimates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 605-11, November.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-365498 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1992. "A Test for Functional Form Against Nonparametric Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 452-475, December.
- William T. Dickens & Shelly J. Lundberg, 1985.
"Hours Restrictions and Labor Supply,"
NBER Working Papers
1638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Konakov, V. D. & Piterbarg, V. I., 1984. "On the convergence rate of maximal deviation distribution for kernel regression estimates," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 279-294, December.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1994.
"Kernel Estimation of Partial Means and a General Variance Estimator,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 1-21, June.
- Newey, W.K., 1992. "Kernel Estimation of Partial Means and a General Variance Estimator," Working papers 93-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199623 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martijn P. Tummers & Isolde Woittiez, 1991. "A Simultaneous Wage and Labor Supply Model with Hours Restrictions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(3), pages 393-423.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:13:y:1998:i:5:p:567-585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.