Female Labor Supply Following Displacement: A Split-Population Model of Labor Force Participation and Job Search
Following permanent layoffs, most women search for new jobs but some withdraw from the labor force. The authors develop a joint model of the choice to undertake postdisplacement job search and unemployment durations for searchers and estimate it using data from the 1988 Displaced Worker Survey. Maximum likelihood estimates of this 'split-population' model show that labor-force withdrawal is an important factor explaining the distribution of postdisplacement jobless spells. The model also allows the authors to distinguish the effect of any covariate on the decision to engage in postdisplacement search from its effect on search duration. Single-population models obscure this distinction. Copyright 1994 by University of Chicago Press.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & George H. Jakubson, 1988. "Advance Notice Provisions in Plant Closing Legislation: Do They Matter?," NBER Working Papers 2611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fallick, Bruce Chelimsky, 1993.
"The Industrial Mobility of Displaced Workers,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 302-323, April.
- Bruce Chelimsky Fallick, 1989. "The Industrial Mobility of Displaced Workers," UCLA Economics Working Papers 572, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Fallick, B.C., 1989. "The Industrial Mobility Of Displaced Workers," Papers 1, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Douglas L. Kruse, 1988. "International Trade and the Labor Market Experience of Displaced Workers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(3), pages 402-417, April.
- Robert G. Valletta, 1991. "Job Tenure and Joblessness of Displaced Workers," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(4), pages 726-741.
- Valletta, R.G., 1990. "Job Tenure And Joblessness Of Displaced Workers," Papers 89-90-5, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Paul Swaim & Michael Podgursky, 1990. "Advance Notice and Job Search: The Value of an Early Start," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(2), pages 147-178. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)