Difficult Choices: Crossing the Picket Line during the 1987 National Football League Strike
This study examines the difficult choice faced by members of a striking bargaining unit between withholding labor or crossing the picket line in violation of the prevailing behavioral norm. Using duration analysis, the authors test a model of crossing behavior using data on individual football players during the 1987 National Football League strike. A notable finding is that nonwhite players are less willing to cross the picket line if their team union representative is also nonwhite. Willingness to cross the line is also influenced by teammate crossing and proxies for expected career length, demand for current income, and expected benefits from union demands. Copyright 1994 by University of Chicago Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 1972.
"Racial Discrimination and Trade Unionism,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(3), pages 435-464, May-June.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 1971. "Racial Discrimination and Trade Unionism," Working Papers 390, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Michele M. Hoyman & Lamont Stallworth, 1987. "Participation in Local Unions: A Comparison of Black and White Members," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(3), pages 323-335, April.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:265729 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kennan, John & Wilson, Robert, 1989. "Strategic Bargaining Models and Interpretation of Strike Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages 87-130, Supplemen. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)