Semiparametric Estimation of a Censored Regression Model with an Unknown Transformation of the Dependent Variable
In this paper we develo psemiparametric estimators of L and y in the model L(Y) = min[b›X + U,C], where Y is a nonnegative dependent variable, X is a vector of explanatory variables, U is an unobserved random "error" term with unknown distribution function y, C is a random censoring variable, b is an unknown parameter vector, and L is an unknown strictly increasing function. This model includes as a special case the censored proportional hazards model with unobserved heterogeneity. Estimators of L and y already exist for the case where either L or y belongs to a known finite-dimensional parametric family, and methods for estimating b exist for the general case. In this paper we propose estimators of L and y which do not assume that L and y belong to known parametric families. We obtain their asymptotic distributions and investigate the small sample properties of the estimators by Monte Carlo simulation.
|Date of creation:||05 Mar 1996|
|Note:||Zipped using PKZIP v2.04, encoded using UUENCODE v5.15. Zipped file includes 1 files -- ui9515.wpa (postscript file, 39 pages);|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ichimura, H., 1991. "Semiparametric Least Squares (sls) and Weighted SLS Estimation of Single- Index Models," Papers 264, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Sherman, Robert P, 1993. "The Limiting Distribution of the Maximum Rank Correlation Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 123-137, January.
- Horowitz, J. & Gorgens, T., 1995.
"Semiparametric Estimation of a Censored Regression Model with an Unknown Transformation of the Dependent Variable,"
95-15, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Gorgens, Tue & Horowitz, Joel L., 1999. "Semiparametric estimation of a censored regression model with an unknown transformation of the dependent variable," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 155-191, June.
- Tue Gorgens & Joel L. Horowitz, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Censored Regression Model with an Unknown Transformation of the Dependent Variable," Econometrics 9603001, EconWPA.
- Haerdle,Wolfgang & Stoker,Thomas, 1987. "Investigations smooth multiple regression by the method of average derivatives," Discussion Paper Serie A 107, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-782, July.
- Kennan, John & Wilson, Robert, 1989. "Strategic Bargaining Models and Interpretation of Strike Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages 87-130, Supplemen.
- Han, Aaron K., 1987. "Non-parametric analysis of a generalized regression model : The maximum rank correlation estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 303-316, July.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-1430, November.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-1057, September.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Regression Model with an Unknown Transformation of the Dependent Variable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 103-137, January.
- J. L. HOROWITZ & Wolfgang HÄRDLE, 1994.
"Direct Semiparametric Estimation of Single - Index Models with Discrete Covariates,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1994,36, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Horowitz, Joel & Hardle, Wolfgang, 1994. "Direct Semiparametric Estimation of Single-Index Models With Discrete Covariates," Working Papers 94-22, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-679, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:9603001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.