From Inside The Firm to the Growth Process
This paper argues that the internal organization of the firm and the growth process interact strongly to determine simultaneously the power of incentives within the firm and the growth rate. We show how agents within the firm can invest either by using their own human capital or by relying on some form of reputational capital to secure implicit relationships within the firm and we discuss how these investments affect the growth rate of the economy. (JEL: D92, L22, O40) Copyright (c) 2003 The European Economic Association.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04/05)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2002.
"Vertical Integration and Distance to Frontier,"
NBER Working Papers
9191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2002. "Vertical Integration and Distance to Frontier," CEPR Discussion Papers 3565, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Aghion, Philippe, 2003. "Vertical Integration and Distance to Frontier," Scholarly Articles 4481512, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Martimort, D. & Verdier, T., 1999.
"The Internal Organization of the Firm, Transaction Costs and Macroeconomic Growth,"
1999-08, Laval - Laboratoire Econometrie.
- Martimort, David & Verdier, Thierry, 2000. "The Internal Organization of the Firm, Transaction Costs, and Macroeconomic Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 315-40, December.
- Martimort, D. & Verdier, T., 1999. "The Internal Organization of the Firm, Transaction Costs and Macroeconomic Growth," DELTA Working Papers 1999-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Patrick Francois & Joanne Roberts, 2003. "Relationships, Commitment, and Labor Productivity Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(2-3), pages 612-620, 04/05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:jeurec:v:1:y:2003:i:2-3:p:621-629. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.