Chilean Agriculture And Major Economic Reforms: Growth, Trade, Poverty And The Environment
This study examines the Chilean experience of economic and trade reforms, deregulation and privatization beginning in the 1970s, and their effect on the agricultural sector from the 1980s to the present. Especially interesting is the interaction between the sectoral, macroeconomic and institutional reforms that influenced the incentive structure in factor markets. This study presents an interpretation of the principal impacts of the reforms and how they contributed to changes in the level and composition of production, the significant reduction in rural poverty, and rural-urban migration. The greater orientation toward the production of exportables encouraged by economic reforms contributed significantly to rural employment and incomes, and was also associated with a reduction in agro-chemical use relative to production value.
Volume (Year): 23 (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://regionetdeveloppement.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geoffrey J. D. Hewings & Patricio Aroca, 2002. "Migration and regional labor market adjustment: Chile 1977-1982 and 1987-1992," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 36(2), pages 197-218.
- Woden, Q.T. & Ayres, W. & Barenstein, M. & Hicks, N. & Lee, K. & Maloney, W. & Peeters, P. & Siaens, C. & Yitzjaki, S., 2000. "Poverty and Policy in Latin America and Caribeean," Papers 467, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Ramón López & Gustavo Anríquez, 2004.
"Poverty and Agricultural Growth: Chile in the 1990s,"
The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 1(1), pages 6-24.
- Lopez, Ramon E. & Anriquez, Gustavo, 2004. "Poverty and Agricultural Growth: Chile in the 1990s," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(1).
- Mundlak, Yair & Cavallo, Domingo & Domenech, Roberto, 1989. "Agriculture and economic growth in Argentina, 1913-84:," Research reports 76, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- repec:wbp:wbpubs:9780821347546 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tou:journl:v:23:y:2006:p:187-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.