Chilean Agriculture And Major Economic Reforms: Growth, Trade, Poverty And The Environment
This study examines the Chilean experience of economic and trade reforms, deregulation and privatization beginning in the 1970s, and their effect on the agricultural sector from the 1980s to the present. Especially interesting is the interaction between the sectoral, macroeconomic and institutional reforms that influenced the incentive structure in factor markets. This study presents an interpretation of the principal impacts of the reforms and how they contributed to changes in the level and composition of production, the significant reduction in rural poverty, and rural-urban migration. The greater orientation toward the production of exportables encouraged by economic reforms contributed significantly to rural employment and incomes, and was also associated with a reduction in agro-chemical use relative to production value.
Volume (Year): 23 (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://regionetdeveloppement.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geoffrey J. D. Hewings & Patricio Aroca, 2002. "Migration and regional labor market adjustment: Chile 1977-1982 and 1987-1992," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 36(2), pages 197-218.
- Mundlak, Yair & Cavallo, Domingo & Domenech, Roberto, 1989. "Agriculture and economic growth in Argentina, 1913-84:," Research reports 76, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ramón López & Gustavo Anríquez, 2004.
"Poverty and Agricultural Growth: Chile in the 1990s,"
The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 1(1), pages 6-24.
- Lopez, Ramon E. & Anriquez, Gustavo, 2004. "Poverty and Agricultural Growth: Chile in the 1990s," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(1).
- Woden, Q.T. & Ayres, W. & Barenstein, M. & Hicks, N. & Lee, K. & Maloney, W. & Peeters, P. & Siaens, C. & Yitzjaki, S., 2000. "Poverty and Policy in Latin America and Caribeean," Papers 467, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- repec:wbp:wbpubs:9780821347546 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tou:journl:v:23:y:2006:p:187-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.