The social impact of structural adjustment in Bolivia
This paper provides an account of the evolution of poverty and inequality during adjustment in Bolivia, covering the period 1985-99. It turns out that urban poverty declined somewhat after the initial stabilization phase that followed the hyperinflation in 1985. A similar evolution of per capita income suggests a positive impact of growth on urban poverty, although the correlation between the two variables is rather low in international perspective. Urban inequality as measured by the Gini coefficient does not exhibit a clear long-term trend upward or downward, but a rising premium for high-skilled workers indicates increasing disparities in the urban labour market. For rural areas, the scant evidence available points towards persistently high poverty levels and a widening rural-urban gap. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2002.
" Growth Is Good for the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-225, September.
- Lykke E. Andersen, 2001.
"Low Social Mobility in Bolivia: Causes and Consequences for Development,"
Kiel Working Papers
1046, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Andersen, Lykke Eg, 2001. "Low Social Mobility in Bolivia: Causes and Consequences for Development," Documentos de trabajo 3/2001, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Woden, Q.T. & Ayres, W. & Barenstein, M. & Hicks, N. & Lee, K. & Maloney, W. & Peeters, P. & Siaens, C. & Yitzjaki, S., 2000. "Poverty and Policy in Latin America and Caribeean," Papers 467, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Gabriela Inchauste, 2000. "Educational Choices and Educational Constraints; Evidence From Bolivia," IMF Working Papers 00/42, International Monetary Fund.
- Bruno, Michael & Ravallion, Martin & Squire, Lyn, 1996. "Equity and growth in developing countries : old and new perspectives on the policy issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1563, The World Bank.
- Thiele, Rainer & Wiebelt, Manfred, 2000. "Sind die Anpassungsprogramme von IWF und Weltbank gescheitert? Eine Bilanz der Erfahrungen von zwei Jahrzehnten," Kiel Discussion Papers 357, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Rainer Schweickert, 2001. "Macroeconomic Constraints on Economic Development and Poverty Reduction: The Case of Bolivia," Kiel Working Papers 1060, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:15:y:2003:i:3:p:299-319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.