Prolegomena to a Post Keynesian health economics
Post Keynesian economics has no specific association with, or has made no specific contribution to, Health economics or healthcare policy. In one sense this is perhaps unsurprising. Post Keynesian economics is for many a distinct approach to macroeconomics. Nevertheless, it has always invoked a strong microeconomic supply-side analysis and thus the purpose of this paper is to make some prefatory remarks as to the types of contributions Post Keynesian economics can make to the economics of healthcare and healthcare policy. The relevance of Post Keynesian themes, such as the relevance of history, uncertainty, distributional issues, and the importance of political and economic institutions for healthcare economics and health policy, is highlighted.
Volume (Year): 64 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RRSE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RRSE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Strauss & Duncan Thomas, 1998.
"Health, Nutrition, and Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 766-817, June.
- Strauss, J. & Thomas, D., 1995. "Health, Nutrition and Economic development," Papers 95-23, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Stephen P. Dunn, 2001. "Bounded Rationality Is Not Fundamental Uncertainty: A Post Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 23(4), pages 567-587, July.
- Dunn, Stephen P, 2001. "Uncertainty, Strategic Decision-Making and the Essence of the Modern Corporation: Extending Cowling and Sugden," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 69(1), pages 31-41, January.
- Marc Lavoie, 1994. "A Post Keynesian Approach to Consumer Choice," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 16(4), pages 539-562, July.
- Lavoie, M., 1992. "A Post-Keynesian Approach to Consumer Choice," Working Papers 9217e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Paul Davidson, 1991. "Is Probability Theory Relevant for Uncertainty? A Post Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 129-143, Winter.
- William A. Jackson, 1998. "The Political Economy of Population Ageing," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 765, July.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-115, March.
- Stephen Dunn, 2000. "Fundamental Uncertainty and the Firm in the Long Run," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 419-433.
- Culyer, A. J., 1995. "Need: The idea won't do--But we still need it," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 727-730, March.
- Katharina Hauck & Rebecca Shaw & Peter C. Smith, 2002. "Reducing avoidable inequalities in health: a new criterion for setting health care capitation payments," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(8), pages 667-677.
- McGuire, Thomas G., 2000. "Physician agency," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 461-536 Elsevier.
- Philip Arestis & Stephen P. Dunn & Malcolm Sawyer, 1999. "Post Keynesian Economics and Its Critics," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(4), pages 527-549, July.
- Blomqvist, A. G. & Carter, R. A. L., 1997. "Is health care really a luxury?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 207-229, April.
- Blomqvist, A.G. & Carter, R.A.L., 1993. "Is Health Care Really a Luxury?," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9311, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Amartya Sen, 2002. "Why health equity?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(8), pages 659-666.
- Peter E. Earl, 2005. "Economics and psychology in the twenty-first century," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 909-926, November.
- Arestis, Philip, 1996. "Post-Keynesian Economics: Towards Coherence," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 111-135, January.
- Rhiannon Tudor Edwards, 2001. "Paradigms and research programmes: is it time to move from health care economics to health economics?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(7), pages 635-649.
- DiMasi, Joseph A. & Hansen, Ronald W. & Grabowski, Henry G., 2003. "The price of innovation: new estimates of drug development costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 151-185, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:rsocec:v:64:y:2006:i:3:p:273-299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.