Accounting for recent trends in absolute poverty in Poland: a decomposition analysis
This article uses poverty decompositions to identify factors explaining recent changes in absolute income and consumption poverty in Poland during 1998--2008. Shapley decompositions of poverty changes into growth and redistribution components show that fast economic growth was the main source of a radical fall in absolute poverty after 2005.Distributional changes had a more profound effect on absolute poverty during 1998--2005. Sectoral decompositions of poverty suggest that stagnant wages and pensions as well as growing unemployment were major factors accounting for increasing poverty between 1998 and 2005, while growing diversification of income sources among farmers had a sizable poverty-reducing effect.
Volume (Year): 24 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- The World Bank, 2000. "Natural Resource Management Strategy. Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Papers 485, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Stanislav Kolenikov, 2010. "Resampling variance estimation for complex survey data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 10(2), pages 165-199, June.
- Zheng, Buhong, 1997. " Aggregate Poverty Measures," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 123-162, June.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2010.
"A Comparison Of The Poverty Impact Of Transfers, Taxes And Market Income Across Five Oecd Countries,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 387-406, October.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, "undated". "A comparison of the poverty impact of transfers, taxes, and market income across five OECD countries," Working Papers 380, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Sami Bibi, 2009. "A Comparison of the Poverty Impact of Transfers, Taxes and Market Income Across Five OECD Countries," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 770.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bibi, Sami & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 2008. "A Comparison of the Poverty Impact of Transfers, Taxes and Market Income across Five OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3824, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2008. "A Comparison of the Poverty Impact of Transfers, Taxes and Market Income across Five OECD Countries," Cahiers de recherche 0835, CIRPEE.
- Lars Osberg & Kuan Xu, 2000. "International Comparisons of Poverty Intensity: Index Decomposition and Bootstrap Inference," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(1), pages 51-81.
- Kuan Xu & Lars Osberg, 1997. "International comparisons of Poverty Intensity: Index Decomposition and Bootstrap Inference," LIS Working papers 165, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Osberg, L & Xu, K, 1997. "International Comparisons of Poverty Intensity : Index Decomposition and Bootstrap Inference," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 97-03, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Adam Szulc, 2009. "Checking The Efficiency of The Social Assistance System in Poland," Working Papers 43, Institute of Statistics and Demography, Warsaw School of Economics.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-231, March.
- Adam Szulc, 2006. "POVERTY IN POLAND DURING THE 1990s: ARE THE RESULTS ROBUST?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(3), pages 423-448, 09.
- Howes, Stephen & Lanjouw, Jean Olson, 1998. "Does Sample Design Matter for Poverty Rate Comparisons?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 99-109, March.
- Thon, Dominique, 1979. "On Measuring Poverty," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 25(4), pages 429-439, December.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1995. "Revisiting the Sen Poverty Index," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1225-1230, September.
- Adam Szulc, 2008. "Checking the consistency of poverty in Poland: 1997-2003 evidence," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 33-55.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:24:y:2011:i:4:p:465-475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.