Income Inequality Games
The paper explores different applications of the Shapley value for either inequality or poverty measures. We first investigate the problem of source decomposition of inequality measures, the so-called additive income sources inequality games, baed on the Shapley Value, introduced by Chantreuil and Trannoy (1999) and Shorrocks (1999). We show that multiplicative income sources inequality games provide dual results compared with Chantreuil and Trannoy's ones. We also investigate the case of multiplicative poverty games for which indices are non additively decomposable in order to capture contributions of sub-indices, which are multiplicatively connected with, as in the Sen-Shorrocks-Thon poverty index. We finally show in the case of additive poverty indices that the Shapley value may be equivalent to traditional methods of decomposition such as subgroup consistency and additive decompositions.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (819) 821-7233
Fax: (819) 821-6930
Web page: http://www.gredi.org/home/documents-de-travail
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Devicienti, 2008.
"Shapley-Value Decompositions of Changes in Wage Distributions: A Note,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
80, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Francesco Devicienti, 2010. "Shapley-value decompositions of changes in wage distributions: a note," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 35-45, March.
- Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia, 2008. "The ‘Extended’ Atkinson family: The class of multiplicatively decomposable inequality measures, and some new graphical procedures for analysts," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 211-225, June.
- Fishburn, Peter C. & Willig, Robert D., 1984. "Transfer principles in income redistribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 323-328, December.
- F. Chantreuil & A. Trannoy, 1999.
"Inequality decomposition values : the trade-off between marginality and consistency,"
THEMA Working Papers
99-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Chantreuil, F. & Trannoy, A., 1999. "Inequality Decomposition Values: the Trade-Off Between Marginality and Consistency," Papers 99-24, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Mercedes Sastre & Alain Trannoy, 2002.
"Shapley inequality decomposition by factor components: Some methodological issues,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 77(1), pages 51-89, December.
- Mercedes Sastre & Alain Trannoy, 2002. "Shapley inequality decomposition by factor components: Some methodological issues," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 51-89, December.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin, 2003.
"Poverty-Reducing Tax Reforms with Heterogeneous Agents,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2005. "Poverty-Reducing Tax Reforms with Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 7(1), pages 107-116, 02.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Poverty-Reducing Tax Reforms with Heterogeneous Agents," Cahiers de recherche 0202, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Paul Makdissi & Jean-Yves Duclos & Quentin Wodon, 2002. "Poverty-Reducing Tax Reforms with Heterogeneous Agents," Cahiers de recherche 02-09, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke, revised 2003.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "The Impact of Income Components on the Distribution of Family Incomes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 311-26, May.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Ebert, Udo, 2010. "The decomposition of inequality reconsidered: Weakly decomposable measures," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 94-103, September.
- Cheng, Yuk-shing & Li, Sung-ko, 2006. "Income inequality and efficiency: A decomposition approach and applications to China," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 8-14, April.
- Thon, Dominique, 1979. "On Measuring Poverty," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 25(4), pages 429-39, December.
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 1998.
"Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, with Evidence from Rural China,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1831, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 2002. "Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, With Evidence from Rural China," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 93-106, January.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "Potential, Value, and Consistency," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 589-614, May.
- Cowell, Frank A, 1980. "On the Structure of Additive Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 521-31, April.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1995. "Revisiting the Sen Poverty Index," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1225-30, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shr:wpaper:10-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.