Five years of competitive and stable real exchange rate in Argentina, 2002-2007
We argue that the macroeconomic regime focused on the preservation of a stable and competitive real exchange rate (SCRER) has been a key factor explaining the rapid growth experienced in Argentina during 2002-2007. This policy promoted economic growth not only by preserving external and fiscal accounts sustainability, but also by providing incentives to the tradable sector and thus encouraging the expansion of its production, employment and investment. Monetary and exchange rate policies aimed at preserving a SCRER collide with conventional wisdom, particularly with the open economy trilemma. We argue that the critiques based on the trilemma may fail to hold in situations of excess supply of foreign currency and analyze the conditions under which the SCRER policy is sustainable.
Volume (Year): 22 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark P. Taylor, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
NBER Working Papers
10607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007.
"Foreign Capital and Economic Growth,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 38(1), pages 153-230.
- Prasad, Eswar & Rajan, Raghuram G. & Subramanian, Arvind, 2007. "Foreign Capital and Economic Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 3186, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "Foreign Capital and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 13619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Frenkel & Lance Taylor, 2006. "Real Exchange Rate, Monetary Policy and Employment," Working Papers 19, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Polterovich, Victor & Popov, Vladimir, 2003. "Accumulation of Foreign Exchange Reserves and Long Term Growth," MPRA Paper 20069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Frenkel, Roberto & Ros, Jaime, 2006. "Unemployment and the real exchange rate in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 631-646, April.
- Mario Damill, 2005.
"The Argentinean Debt: History, Default and Restructuring,"
ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 6(3), pages 29-90.
- Mario DAMİLL & Martin RAPETTİ & Roberto FRENKEL, 2005. "The Argentinean debt: History, default and restructuring," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 20(236), pages 5-26.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:irapec:v:22:y:2008:i:2:p:215-226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.