An Empirical Examination of Capital Mobility in East Asia Emerging Markets
This paper examines the evidence on saving-investment correlations and the covered interest parity conditions to gauge the degree of capital mobility in eight East Asia emerging markets. It is found that Hong Kong and Singapore have fairly mobile capital markets while other countries exhibit financial openness only to a certain extent. The results also indicate that financial integration has been broadly enhanced among these markets following their liberalizations. However, except for Hong Kong, the degree of capital mobility in all markets has not yet returned to the level before the Asian crisis.
Volume (Year): 35 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RGER20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RGER20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1992. "Measuring International Capital Mobility: A Review," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 197-202, May.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Haw, Chan Tze & Fountas, Stilianos, 2005. "A panel study on real interest rate parity in East Asian countries: Pre- and post-liberalization era," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 69-85, August.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dooley, Michael P & Isard, Peter, 1980. "Capital Controls, Political Risk, and Deviations from Interest-Rate Parity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 370-84, April.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Grennes, Thomas J., 1994. "Real interest rate equalization and the integration of international financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 107-124, February.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- Anoruo, Emmanuel & Ramchander, Sanjay & Thiewes, Harold F., 2002. "International linkage of interest rates: Evidence from the emerging economies of Asia," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 217-235.
- Montiel, Peter J., 1993.
"Capital mobility in developing countries : some measurement issues and empirical estimates,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1103, The World Bank.
- Montiel, Peter J, 1994. "Capital Mobility in Developing Countries: Some Measurement Issues and Empirical Estimates," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(3), pages 311-50, September.
- Murphy, Robert G., 1984. "Capital mobility and the relationship between saving and investment rates in OECD countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 327-342, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:glecrv:v:35:y:2006:i:1:p:97-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.