Simple Lm Tests For The Unbalanced Nested Error Component Regression Model
This paper derives several Lagrange Multiplier tests for the unbalanced nested error component model. Economic data with a natural nested grouping include firms grouped by industry; or students grouped by schools. The LM tests derived include the joint test for both effects as well as the test for one effect conditional on the presence of the other. The paper also derives the standardized versions of these tests, their asymptotic locally mean most powerful version as well as their robust to local misspecification version. Monte Carlo experiments are conducted to study the performance of these LM tests.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/LECR20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bera, Anil K. & Jarque, Carlos M., 1982. "Model specification tests : A simultaneous approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 59-82, October.
- H. Baltagi, Badi & Heun Song, Seuck & Cheol Jung, Byoung, 2001. "The unbalanced nested error component regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 357-381, April.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Pinnoi, Nat, 1995. "Public Capital Stock and State Productivity Growth: Further Evidence from an Error Components Model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 351-59.
- Hadri, Kaddour & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1999.
"The accuracy of the higher order bias approximation for the 2SLS estimator,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 167-174, February.
- Hadri, K. & Phillips, G.D.A., 1999. "The Accuracy of the Higher Order Bias Approximation for the 2SLS Estimator," Discussion Papers 9906, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Maxwell King & Ping Wu, 1997. "Locally optimal one-sided tests for multiparameter hypotheses," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 131-156.
- Rahman, Shahidur & King, Maxwell L., 1997. "Marginal-likelihood score-based tests of regression disturbances in the presence of nuisance parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 81-106.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae & Li, Qi, 1992. "Monte Carlo results on several new and existing tests for the error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 95-120.
- Honda, Yuzo, 1985. "Testing the Error Components Model with Non-normal Disturbances," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 681-90, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:4:p:649-58 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antweiler, Werner, 2001. "Nested random effects estimation in unbalanced panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 295-313, April.
- Marc Nerlove, 1968.
"Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross-Sections,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
257, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1971. "Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross Sections," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 359-82, March.
- Moulton, Brent R & Randolph, William C, 1989. "Alternative Tests of the Error Components Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 685-93, May.
- Montmarquette, Claude & Mahseredjian, Sophie, 1989. "Does School Matter for Educational Achievement? A Two-Way Nested-Error Components Analysis," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 181-93, April-Jun.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "Why has productivity growth declined? Productivity and public investment," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 3-22.
- Breusch, Trevor S., 1980. "Useful invariance results for generalized regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 327-340, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:emetrv:v:21:y:2002:i:2:p:167-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.