Uncertainty in Integrated Regional Models
This paper examines the nature of uncertainty in integrated econometric+input-output (ECIO) regional models. We focus on three sources of uncertainty: (a) econometric model parameter uncertainty; (b) econometric disturbance term uncertainty; and (c) input-output coefficient uncertainty. Through a series of Monte Carlo simulations we analyse the relative importance of each component as well as the question of how their interaction may propagate through the integrated model to affect the distributions of the endogenous variables. Our results suggest that there is no simple answer to the question of which source of uncertainty is most important in an integrated model. Instead, that answer is conditioned upon the focus of the analysis and whether the industry specific or macro level variables are of central concerns.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CESR20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1990.
"Full Information Estimation and Stochastic Simulation of Models with Rational Expectations,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 381-392, Oct.-Dec..
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1991. "Full Information Estimation and Stochastic Simulation of Models with Rational Expectations," NBER Technical Working Papers 0078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1989. "Full Information Estimation and Stochastic Simulation of Models with Rational Expectations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 921, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dan S. Rickman, 2001. "Using Input-Output Information for Bayesian Forecasting of Industry Employment in a Regional Econometric Model," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 24(2), pages 226-244, April.
- Gerking, Shelby D, 1976. "Input-Output as a Simple Econometric Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(3), pages 274-82, August.
- West, Guy R, 1986. "A Stochastic Analysis of an Input-Output Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 363-374, March.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometrics 9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- R. C. Jensen, 1980. "The Concept of Accuracy in Regional Input-Output Models," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 139-154, August.
- Deller, Steven C. & Shields, Martin, 1998. "Economic Impact Modeling as a Tool for Community Economic Development," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 28(2).
- Scott, James K. & Johnson, Thomas G., 1998. "The Community Policy Analysis Network: A National Infrastructure for Community Policy Decision Support," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 28(2).
- LeSage, James P. & Magura, Michael, 1991. "Using interindustry input-output relations as a Bayesian prior in employment forecasting models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 231-238, August.
- Jackson, Randall W., 1989. "Probabilistic input-output analysis: Modeling directions," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 87-95.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecsysr:v:16:y:2004:i:3:p:259-277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.