Considering the effects of imprecision and uncertainty in ecological footprint estimation: An approach in a fuzzy environment
This paper demonstrates the development of the Ecological Footprint within a fuzzy environment. The approach taken provides a means to understand the impacts of imprecision and uncertainty in the input-output framework, which forms a cornerstone of many recently constructed Footprint estimates. The paper uses, as a basis, an example of Footprint construction presented in the paper of Bicknell et al. [Bicknell, K.B., Ball, R.J., Cullen, R., Bigsby, H.R., 1998. New methodology for the Ecological Footprint with an application to the New Zealand economy. Ecological Economics 27, 149-160]. The analysis considers levels of fuzziness surrounding the technical coefficients in the underlying input-output framework. The results presented fully exposit the effect of the defined analysis, including the presentation of; fuzzy sector Ecological Footprints and overall fuzzy Ecological Footprint. Accompanying these findings, the fuzzy versions of certain moments associated with these Footprints are also presented, namely possibilistic mean and variance. The findings contribute to the elucidation of the potential policy impacts afforded when acknowledging imprecision and uncertainty in the data used in estimating Ecological Footprints.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bulte, Erwin H. & van Kooten, G. Cornelis, 2001. "Harvesting and conserving a species when numbers are low: population viability and gambler's ruin in bioeconomic models," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 87-100, April.
- Turner, Karen & Lenzen, Manfred & Wiedmann, Thomas & Barrett, John, 2007. "Examining the global environmental impact of regional consumption activities -- Part 1: A technical note on combining input-output and ecological footprint analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 37-44, April.
- Sporri, C. & Borsuk, M. & Peters, I. & Reichert, P., 2007. "The economic impacts of river rehabilitation: A regional Input-Output analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 341-351, April.
- Dubois, Didier, 2006. "Possibility theory and statistical reasoning," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 47-69, November.
- de Siqueira Campos Boclin, Andre & de Mello, Renato, 2006. "A decision support method for environmental impact assessment using a fuzzy logic approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 170-181, June.
- Bicknell, Kathryn B. & Ball, Richard J. & Cullen, Ross & Bigsby, Hugh R., 1998. "New methodology for the ecological footprint with an application to the New Zealand economy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 149-160, November.
- Sergio Rey & Guy West & Mark Janikas, 2004.
"Uncertainty in Integrated Regional Models,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 259-277.
- Sergio J. Rey & Guy R. West & Mark V. Janikas, 2004. "Uncertainty in Integrated Regional Models," Urban/Regional 0401001, EconWPA.
- Andriantiatsaholiniaina, Luc A. & Kouikoglou, Vassilis S. & Phillis, Yannis A., 2004. "Evaluating strategies for sustainable development: fuzzy logic reasoning and sensitivity analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 149-172, February.
- Malcolm Beynon & Max Munday & Annette Roberts, 2005. "Ranking sectors using fuzzy output multipliers," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 237-253.
- Mouratiadou, Ioanna & Moran, Dominic, 2007. "Mapping public participation in the Water Framework Directive: A case study of the Pinios River Basin, Greece," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 66-76, April.
- Wiedmann, Thomas & Minx, Jan & Barrett, John & Wackernagel, Mathis, 2006. "Allocating ecological footprints to final consumption categories with input-output analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 28-48, January.
- Prato, Tony, 2007. "Assessing ecosystem sustainability and management using fuzzy logic," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 171-177, February.
- Hung, Ming-Lung & Yang, Wan-Fa & Ma, Hwong-Wen & Yang, Ya-Mei, 2006. "A novel multiobjective programming approach dealing with qualitative and quantitative objectives for environmental management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 584-593, April.
- Erik Dietzenbacher, 2006. "Multiplier Estimates: To Bias Or Not To Bias?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 773-786.
- Wiedmann, Thomas & Lenzen, Manfred & Turner, Karen & Barrett, John, 2007. "Examining the global environmental impact of regional consumption activities -- Part 2: Review of input-output models for the assessment of environmental impacts embodied in trade," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 15-26, February.
- Lenzen, Manfred, 2007. "Aggregation (in-)variance of shared responsibility: A case study of Australia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 19-24, October.
- Ferng, Jiun-Jiun, 2001. "Using composition of land multiplier to estimate ecological footprints associated with production activity," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 159-172, May.
- Wackernagel, Mathis & Onisto, Larry & Bello, Patricia & Callejas Linares, Alejandro & Susana Lopez Falfan, Ina & Mendez Garcia, Jesus & Isabel Suarez Guerrero, Ana & Guadalupe Suarez Guerrero, Ma., 1999. "National natural capital accounting with the ecological footprint concept," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 375-390, June.
- Ferng, Jiun-Jiun, 2002. "Toward a scenario analysis framework for energy footprints," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Lenzen, Manfred & Murray, Shauna A., 2001. "A modified ecological footprint method and its application to Australia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 229-255, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:67:y:2008:i:3:p:373-383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.