Telecommunications reform in Indonesia: Achievements and challenges
Telecommunications reform in Indonesia has occurred in two phases. In the first, from 1989, private participation was permitted in the fixed-line sector through public-private partnership (PPP) arrangements. In the current reform phase, which began in 1999, a duopoly structure was created in fixed-line sector operations, accompanied by a pro-competitive regulatory regime. The first reform phase was not successful. This paper explains that contract-based PPP programs provided only short-term solutions to the problem of lack of capacity. The more wide-ranging 1999 reforms acknowledge the importance of competition and a sound regulatory regime in telecommunications reform, but there are still limits on market entry, and the problems of lack of interconnection and network development disparities remain.
Volume (Year): 41 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CBIE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CBIE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics,
Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- Nicholas Economides, 1995. "The Economics of Networks," Working Papers 94-24, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics, revised Sep 1995.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Industrial Organization 9701002, EconWPA.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, July.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1991. "Economic Perspectives on Privatization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 111-132, Spring.
- Peha, Jon M., 1999. "Tradable universal service obligations," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 363-374, June.
- Hank Intven, 2000. "Telecommunications Regulation Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15249, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:bindes:v:41:y:2005:i:3:p:341-365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.