Shifting sentiments in firm investment: an application to the oil industry
Recent developments in the oil and gas industry suggest that investment behaviour is not necessarily changeless over time. We propose a micro-econometric procedure to investigate the stability of investment behaviour at the firm level. Applying system Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) on a panel data set for 253 oil and gas companies over 14 years, we estimate accelerator models of investment with error-correction. Robust econometric evidence indicates a structural break in oil and gas investment in 1998. The process of capital formation over the last few years is more flexible than before, with significant and material changes in the role of explanatory factors like cash flow and uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panayi, Sylvia & Trigeorgis, Lenos, 1998. "Multi-stage Real Options: The Cases of Information Technology Infrastructure and International Bank Expansion," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 675-692.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay & Jacques Mairesse, 1999.
"Firm Level Investment in France and the United States: An Exploration of What We Have Learned in Twenty Years,"
- Bronwyn H. Hall, Jacques Mairesse and Benoit Mulkay., 1998. "Firm Level Investment in France and the United States: An Exploration of What We Have Learned in Twenty Years," Economics Working Papers 98-261, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Mulkay, Benoit, 1998. "Firm Level Investment in France and the United States: An Exploration of What We Have Learned in Twenty Years," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5tp4r5nm, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hall, B. & Mairesse, J. & Mulkay, B., 1998. "Firm-Level Investment in France and the United States: An Exploration of What We Have Learned in Twenty Years," Economics Papers 143, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1998. "Firm-level investment in France an the United States: an exploration of what we have learned in twenty years," IFS Working Papers W98/10, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jacques Mairesse & Bronwyn H. Hall & Benoit Mulkay, 1999. "Firm-Level Investment in France and the United States: An Exploration of What We Have Learned in Twenty Years," NBER Working Papers 7437, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Firm-Level Investment in France and the United States: An exploration of what we have learned in twenty years," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Terregrossa, Ralph A., 1997. "Capital depreciation and investment demand," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 79-95.
- Weston, J. Fred & Johnson, Brian A. & Siu, Juan A., 1999. "Mergers and restructuring in the world oil industry," Journal of Energy Finance & Development, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 149-183.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1998.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 193-225, March.
- Hartman, Richard, 1972. "The effects of price and cost uncertainty on investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 258-266, October.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 1997. "Do Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Provide Useful Measures of Financing Constraints?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 169-215.
- Favero, C.A. & Pesaran, M.H., 1992.
"Oil Investment in the North Sea,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9204, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Favero, C.A. & Pesaran, M.H. & Sharma, S., 1992. "Uncertainty and Irreversible Investment: An Empirical Analysis of Development of Oilfields on the UKCS," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9210, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Joao F. Gomes, 2001. "Financing Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1263-1285, December.
- Hurn, A S & Wright, Robert E, 1994. "Geology or Economics? Testing Models of Irreversible Investment Using North Sea Oil Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 363-71, March.
- Driver, Ciaran & Moreton, David, 1991. "The Influence of Uncertainty on UK Manufacturing Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1452-59, November.
- James L. Paddock & Daniel R. Siegel & James L. Smith, 1988. "Option Valuation of Claims on Real Assets: The Case of Offshore Petroleum Leases," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(3), pages 479-508.
- Darby, Julia, et al, 1999.
"The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C55-67, March.
- Darby, Julia & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Ireland, Jonathan & Piscitelli, Laura, 1998. "The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1896, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julia Darby & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Jonathan Ireland & Laura Piscitelli, . "The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment," ICMM Discussion Papers 49, Department of Economics University of Strathclyde.
- David Roodman, 2006.
"How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata,"
103, Center for Global Development.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- Stephen Oliner & Glenn Rudebusch & Daniel Sichel, 1993.
"New and old models of business investment: a comparison of forecasting performance,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
141, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Oliner, Stephen & Rudebusch, Glenn & Sichel, Daniel, 1995. "New and Old Models of Business Investment: A Comparison of Forecasting Performance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 806-26, August.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Steven R. Grenadier, 2002. "Option Exercise Games: An Application to the Equilibrium Investment Strategies of Firms," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 691-721.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Mohn, Klaus & Misund, Bard & Asche, Frank, 2007. "Is oil supply choked by financial market pressures?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 467-474, January.
- Timothy Erickson & Toni M. Whited, 2000. "Measurement Error and the Relationship between Investment and q," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 1027-1057, October.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:21:y:2011:i:7:p:469-479. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.