Returns to education: updates for Malaysia
This article provides updated returns to education estimates for Malaysia. Current returns as presented in international updates are 32.6 and 34.5 for the secondary and higher education levels. New estimates were obtained using data from the Malaysian Household Income Survey 1997, a nationally represented survey. The findings show that returns to education remain high and positive, in particular, the returns to the higher educational level, encompassing the pre-university qualification and higher education qualifications. Results also display marginal gross returns of 14.1 for those completing the upper secondary education level and 16.4 for those completing the higher education level for the overall sample. By gender, the marginal gross returns for males are 12.0 at the upper secondary level and 18.1 at the higher education level and for females, 15.7 and 16.4 respectively.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falaris, Evangelos M, 1995. "The Role of Selectivity Bias in Estimates of the Rate of Return to Schooling: The Case of Married Women in Venezuela," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 333-50, January.
- Siphambe, Happy Kufigwa, 2000. "Rates of return to education in Botswana," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 291-300, June.
- Arjun Bedi & Noel Gaston, 1997. "Returns to endogenous education: the case of Honduras," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 519-528.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- George Psacharopoulos, 1985. "Returns to Education: A Further International Update and Implications," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 20(4), pages 583-604.
- Colm Harmon & Hessel Oosterbeek, 2000.
"The Returns to Education: A Review of Evidence, Issues and Deficiencies in the Literature,"
CEE Discussion Papers
0005, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Colm Harmon & Hessel Oosterbeek & Ian Walker, 2000. "The returns to education : a review of evidence, issues and deficiencies in the literature," Open Access publications 10197/670, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- George Psacharopoulos & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 2004.
"Returns to investment in education: a further update,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 111-134.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 2002. "Returns to investment in education : a further update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2881, The World Bank.
- repec:pid:journl:v:39:y:2000:i:3:p:263-268 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:10:y:2003:i:13:p:837-841. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.