Perception of Job Instability in Europe
The perception of job instability is an important measure of subjective well-being of individuals, because most people derive their income from selling their labour services. The study explores the determination of perception of job instability in Europe. The study is based on a large-scale survey from the year 1998. There are evidently large differences in the amount of perceived job instability from country to country. The lowest level of perceived job instability is in Denmark (9%). In contrast, the highest level of perceived job instability is in Spain (63%). Perceived job instability increases with age and an earlier unemployment episode. An increase in educational level, on the other hand, leads to a decline in the perception of job instability. In addition, a temporary contract as such does not yield an additional increase to the perception of job instability. The perception of job instability is more common within manufacturing industries and there is some evidence for the view that it increases according to the size of the firm.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 67 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Melvin Stephens Jr., 2001.
"Job Displacement, Disability, and Divorce,"
NBER Working Papers
8578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F., 1991.
"Layoffs and Lemons,"
3442782, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gibbons, R. & Katz, L.F., 1989. "Layoffs And Lemons," Working papers 531, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989. "Layoffs and Lemons," Working Papers 629, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989. "Layoffs and Lemons," NBER Working Papers 2968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001.
"Preferences over inflation and unemployment: Evidence from surveys of happiness,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 03-2001, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Robert J. MacCulloch & Rafael Di Tella & Andrew J. Oswald, 2001. "Preferences over Inflation and Unemployment: Evidence from Surveys of Happiness," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 335-341, March.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1993.
"Gross Worker and Job Flows in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Nickell & Tracy Jones & Glenda Quintini, 2000.
"A picture of job insecurity facing British men,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20141, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Susan N. Houseman, 2000.
"Why Employers Use Flexible Staffing Arrangements: Evidence from an Establishment Survey,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
01-67, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Susan N. Houseman, 2001. "Why employers use flexible staffing arrangements: Evidence from an establishment survey," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(1), pages 149-170, October.
- van Praag, B. M. S. & Frijters, P. & Ferrer-i-Carbonell, A., 2003.
"The anatomy of subjective well-being,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 29-49, May.
- Gianfranco DOMENIGHETTI & Barbara D'AVANZO & Brigitte BISIG, 1999. "Health Effects of Job Insecurity among Employees in Swiss General Population," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9907, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Daniel Aaronson & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1998. "The decline of job security in the 1990s: displacement, anxiety, and their effect on wage growth," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q I, pages 17-43.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1991.
"Labour Turnover Costs and Average Labour Demand,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
601, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Garibaldi, Pietro, 1998.
"Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 245-275, February.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 1999. "Gross job flows," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2711-2805 Elsevier.
- Jeff Dominitz & Charles F. Manski, 1996.
"Perceptions of Economic Insecurity: Evidence from the Survey of Economic Expectations,"
NBER Working Papers
5690, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Dominitz & C. F. Manski, . "Perceptions of Economic Insecurity: Evidence from the Survey of Economic Expectations," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1105-96, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Claudio Lupi & Patrizia Ordine, 2002. "Unemployment scarring in high unemployment regions," Economics Bulletin, , vol. 10(2), pages 1-8.
- Farber, Henry S., 1999. "Mobility and stability: The dynamics of job change in labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 2439-2483 Elsevier.
- Salvanes, Kjell G, 1997.
" Market Rigidities and Labour Market Flexibility: An International Comparison,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 315-33, June.
- Salvanes, K-G, 1996. "Market Rigidities and Labour Market Flexibility : An International Comparison," Papers 23/96, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2002:i:2:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joel L. Horowitz & N. E. Savin, 2001. "Binary Response Models: Logits, Probits and Semiparametrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 43-56, Fall.
- Green, Francis & Felstead, Alan & Burchell, Brendan, 2000. " Job Insecurity and the Difficulty of Regaining Employment: An Empirical Study of Unemployment Expectations," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(0), pages 855-83, Special I.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
- Bell, David & Hart, Robert A & Wright, Robert E, 1997. "Multiple Job Holding as a 'Hedge' Against Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1626, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schmidt, Stefanie R, 1999. "Long-Run Trends in Workers' Beliefs about Their Own Job Security: Evidence from the General Social Survey," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages S127-41, October.
- Francis Green & Andrew Dickerson & Alan Carruth & David Campbell, 2001. "An Analysis of Subjective Views of Job Insecurity," Studies in Economics 0108, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Pauline Givord & Eric Maurin, 2001. "Changes in Job Stability and their Causes : An Empirical Analysis Method applied to France, 1982-2000," Working Papers 2001-07, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:67:y:2004:i:3:p:283-314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.