Household-level disaster-induced losses and rural–urban migration: Experience from world’s one of the most disaster-affected countries
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Noy, Ilan, 2009.
"The macroeconomic consequences of disasters,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 221-231, March.
- Ilan Noy, 2007. "The Macroeconomic Consequences of Disasters," Working Papers 200707, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Alden Speare, 1974. "Residential satisfaction as an intervening variable in residential mobility," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 11(2), pages 173-188, May.
- Mbaye, Linguère Mously & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2015. "Environmental Disasters and Migration," IZA Discussion Papers 9349, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Herrmann, Michael & Svarin, David, 2009. "Environmental pressures and rural-urban migration: The case of Bangladesh," MPRA Paper 12879, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toya, Hideki & Skidmore, Mark, 2007.
"Economic development and the impacts of natural disasters,"
Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 20-25, January.
- Mark Skidmore & Hideki Toya, 2005. "Economic Development and the Impacts of Natural Disasters," Working Papers 05-04, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics.
- Roger Few, 2003. "Flooding, vulnerability and coping strategies: local responses to a global threat," Progress in Development Studies, , vol. 3(1), pages 43-58, January.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-142, March.
- Mark Skidmore & Hideki Toya, 2002. "Do Natural Disasters Promote Long-Run Growth?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 40(4), pages 664-687, October.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Huq, Mainul & Khan, Zahirul Huq & Ahmed, Manjur Murshed Zahid & Mukherjee, Nandan & Khan, Malik Fida & Pandey, Kiran, 2010. "Vulnerability of bangladesh to cyclones in a changing climate : potential damages and adaptation cost," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5280, The World Bank.
- Susan L. Cutter & Bryan J. Boruff & W. Lynn Shirley, 2003. "Social Vulnerability to Environmental Hazards," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 84(2), pages 242-261, June.
- Matthew E. Kahn, 2005. "The Death Toll from Natural Disasters: The Role of Income, Geography, and Institutions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(2), pages 271-284, May.
- AKM Ahsan Ullah, 2004. "Bright City Lights and Slums of Dhaka city: Determinants of rural-urban migration in Bangladesh," Migration Letters, Transnational Press London, UK, vol. 1(1), pages 26-41, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tanvir Pavel & Syed Hasan & Nafisa Halim & Pallab Mozumder, 2018.
"Natural Hazards and Internal Migration: The Role of Transient versus Permanent Shocks,"
1806, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Pavel, Tanvir & Hasan, Syed & Halim, Nafisa & Mozumder, Pallab, 2018. "Natural hazards and internal migration: The role of transient versus permanent shocks," GLO Discussion Paper Series 255, Global Labor Organization (GLO).
- Tanvir Pavel & Syed Hasan & Nafisa Halim & Pallab Mozumder, 2018. "Natural hazards and internal migration: The role of transient versus permanent shocks," Discussion Papers 1805, School of Economics and Finance, Massey University, New Zealand.
- Kai Tang, 2022. "The Effect of Left-Behind Women on Fertilizer Use: Evidence from China’s Rural Households Engaging in Rural-Urban Migration," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 20(1), pages 1-12, December.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Naqvi, Asjad, 2017. "Deep Impact: Geo-Simulations as a Policy Toolkit for Natural Disasters," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 99(C), pages 395-418.
- Kousky, Carolyn, 2014. "Informing climate adaptation: A review of the economic costs of natural disasters," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 576-592.
- Kousky, Carolyn, 2012. "Informing Climate Adaptation: A Review of the Economic Costs of Natural Disasters, Their Determinants, and Risk Reduction Options," Discussion Papers dp-12-28, Resources For the Future.
- Noy, Ilan & Vu, Tam Bang, 2010.
"The economics of natural disasters in a developing country: The case of Vietnam,"
Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 345-354, August.
- Ilan Noy & Tam Bang Vu, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters in a Developing Country: The Case of Vietnam," Working Papers 200903, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Yanos Zylberberg, 2010. "Natural natural disasters and economic disruption," PSE Working Papers halshs-00564946, HAL.
- Matteo Coronese & Davide Luzzati, 2022. "Economic impacts of natural hazards and complexity science: a critical review," LEM Papers Series 2022/13, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Emmanuel Apergis & Nicholas Apergis, 2021. "The impact of COVID-19 on economic growth: evidence from a Bayesian Panel Vector Autoregressive (BPVAR) model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(58), pages 6739-6751, December.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Castriota, Stefano & Conzo, Pierluigi, 2017.
"Disaster, Aid, and Preferences: The Long-run Impact of the Tsunami on Giving in Sri Lanka,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 94(C), pages 157-173.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Stefano Castriota & Pierluigi Conzo, 2012. "Calamity, Aid and Indirect Reciprocity: the Long Run Impact of Tsunami on Altruism," CSEF Working Papers 316, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Stefano Castriota & Pierluigi Conzo, 2012. "Calamity, Aid and Indirect Reciprocity: the Long Run Impact of Tsunami on Altruism," CEIS Research Paper 239, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 06 Jul 2012.
- Tam Bang Vu & Calvin Luscombe & Shaun McKim, 2014. "Natural Disasters in Japan and Tourism in Developing Countries: The Case of the Pacific Islands," Journal of Empirical Economics, Research Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 3(2), pages 98-107.
- Matthew A. COLE & Robert J R ELLIOTT & OKUBO Toshihiro & Eric STROBL, 2013. "Natural Disasters and Plant Survival: The impact of the Kobe earthquake," Discussion papers 13063, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009.
"The Economics of Natural Disasters - A Survey,"
200919, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Cavallo, Eduardo A. & Noy, Ilan, 2011. "The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 1664, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey," Research Department Publications 4649, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Gröschl, Jasmin, 2014.
"Naturally negative: The growth effects of natural disasters,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 92-106.
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Jasmin Katrin Gröschl & Gabriel J. Felbermayr, 2013. "Naturally Negative: The Growth Effects of Natural Disasters," CESifo Working Paper Series 4439, CESifo.
- Ilan Noy & Rio Yonson, 2018. "Economic Vulnerability and Resilience to Natural Hazards: A Survey of Concepts and Measurements," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 10(8), pages 1-16, August.
- Giulia Bettin & Alberto Zazzaro, 2018.
"The Impact of Natural Disasters on Remittances to Low- and Middle-Income Countries,"
Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 54(3), pages 481-500, March.
- Giulia Bettin & Alberto Zazzaro, 2016. "The Impact of Natural Disasters on Remittances to Low- and Middle-income Countries," CSEF Working Papers 431, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Giulia Bettin & Alberto Zazzaro, 2016. "The Impact of Natural Disasters on Remittances to Low- and Middle-income Countries," Development Working Papers 393, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 30 May 2016.
- Giulia Bettin & Alberto Zazzaro, 2016. "The impact of natural disasters on remittances to low- and middle-income countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 120, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Matthew A. COLE & Robert J R ELLIOTT & OKUBO Toshihiro & Eric STROBL, 2015. "Natural Disasters, Industrial Clusters and Manufacturing Plant Survival," Discussion papers 15008, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Yanos Zylberberg, 2010. "Natural natural disasters and economic disruption," Working Papers halshs-00564946, HAL.
- Hideki Toya & Mark Skidmore, 2014.
"Do Natural Disasters Enhance Societal Trust?,"
Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(2), pages 255-279, May.
- Hideki Toya & Mark Skidmore, 2012. "Do Natural Disasters Enhance Societal Trust?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3905, CESifo.
- Ercio Muñoz S. & Alfredo Pistelli M., 2010. "¿Tienen los Terremotos un Impacto Inflacionario en el Corto Plazo? Evidencia para una Muestra de Países," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 13(2), pages 113-127, April.
- Christian R. Jaramillo H., 2009. "Do Natural Disasters Have Long-term Effects on Growth?," Documentos CEDE 006647, Universidad de los Andes â€“ Facultad de Economía â€“ CEDE.
- Olivier R de Bandt & Luc Jacolin & Thibault Lemaire, 2021. "Climate Change in Developing Countries: Global Warming Effects, Transmission Channels and Adaptation Policies," Working Papers hal-03948704, HAL.
More about this item
KeywordsNatural disasters; Migration; Rural–urban migration; Dhaka; Bangladesh;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:nathaz:v:86:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s11069-016-2690-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Sonal Shukla or Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.