How important is homeland education for refugees’ economic position in The Netherlands?
We use data on refugees admitted to the Netherlands that include registration of education in their homeland by immigration officers. Such data are seldom available. We investigate the quality and reliability of the registrations and then use them to assess effects on refugees' economic position during the first five years after arrival. The most remarkable finding is the absence of returns to higher education.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 22 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +43-70-2468-8236|
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00148/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry R. Chiswick & Yew Liang Lee & Paul W. Miller, 2005.
"Immigrant Earnings: A Longitudinal Analysis,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(4), pages 485-503, December.
- Thomas J. Kane & Cecilia Elena Rouse & Douglas Staiger, 1999. "Estimating Returns to Schooling When Schooling is Misreported," NBER Working Papers 7235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Husted, Leif & Nielsen, Helena Skyt & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000.
"Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark,"
IZA Discussion Papers
101, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Husted, L. & Nielsen, H.S. & Rosholm, M. & Smith, N., 2000. "Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark," Papers 00-01, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Husted, Leif & Skyt Nielsen, Helena & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000. "Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark," CLS Working Papers 00-1, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Rebecca M. Blank, .
"Race and Gender in the Labor Market,"
IPR working papers
98-18, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521815888 is not listed on IDEAS
- Berman, Eli & Lang, Kevin & Siniver, Erez, 2003.
"Language-skill complementarity: returns to immigrant language acquisition,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 265-290, June.
- Eli Berman & Kevin Lang & Erez Siniver, 2000. "Language-Skill Complementarity: Returns to Immigrant Language Acquisition," NBER Working Papers 7737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eli Berman & Kevin Lang & Erez Siniver, 1999. "Language Skill Complementarity: Returns to Immigrant Language Acquisition," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 96, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- B.R. Chiswick & P.W. Miller, 1992.
"The Determinants of Post-Immigration Investments in Education,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
92-17, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 1994. "The determinants of post-immigration investments in education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 163-177, June.
- Nekby, Lena, 2002. "Employment Convergence of Immigrants and Natives in Sweden," Research Papers in Economics 2002:9, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2003.
"The complementarity of language and other human capital: immigrant earnings in Canada,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 469-480, October.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2002. "The Complementarity of Language and Other Human Capital: Immigrant Earnings in Canada," IZA Discussion Papers 451, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erich Battistin & Barbara Sianesi, 2006. "Misreported schooling and returns to education: evidence from the UK," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Card, David, 1999. "The causal effect of education on earnings," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1801-1863 Elsevier.
- Mark C. Regets & Harriet Orcutt Duleep, 1999. "Immigrants and Human-Capital Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 186-191, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jopoec:v:22:y:2009:i:1:p:219-246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.