How Important Is Homeland Education for Refugees' Economic Position in The Netherlands?
We use data on refugees admitted to the Netherlands that include registration of education in their homeland by immigration officers. Such data are seldom available. We investigate the quality and reliability of the registrations and then use them to assess effects on refugees' economic position during the first five years after arrival. The most remarkable finding is the absence of returns to higher education.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Population Economics, 2009, 22 (1), 219-246|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521815888 is not listed on IDEAS
- Altonji, Joseph G. & Blank, Rebecca M., 1999.
"Race and gender in the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 48, pages 3143-3259
- Husted, Leif & Skyt Nielsen, Helena & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000.
"Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark,"
CLS Working Papers
00-1, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Husted, L. & Nielsen, H.S. & Rosholm, M. & Smith, N., 2000. "Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark," Papers 00-01, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Husted, Leif & Nielsen, Helena Skyt & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000. "Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark," IZA Discussion Papers 101, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erich Battistin & Barbara Sianesi, 2006. "Misreported schooling and returns to education: evidence from the UK," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 1994.
"The determinants of post-immigration investments in education,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 163-177, June.
- B.R. Chiswick & P.W. Miller, 1992. "The Determinants of Post-Immigration Investments in Education," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 92-17, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Barry R. Chiswick & Yew Liang Lee & Paul W. Miller, 2005.
"Immigrant Earnings: A Longitudinal Analysis,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(4), pages 485-503, December.
- Thomas J. Kane & Cecilia Elena Rouse & Douglas Staiger, 1999. "Estimating Returns to Schooling When Schooling is Misreported," NBER Working Papers 7235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2003.
"The complementarity of language and other human capital: immigrant earnings in Canada,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 469-480, October.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2002. "The Complementarity of Language and Other Human Capital: Immigrant Earnings in Canada," IZA Discussion Papers 451, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eli Berman & Kevin Lang & Erez Siniver, 1999.
"Language Skill Complementarity: Returns to Immigrant Language Acquisition,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
96, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Berman, Eli & Lang, Kevin & Siniver, Erez, 2003. "Language-skill complementarity: returns to immigrant language acquisition," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 265-290, June.
- Eli Berman & Kevin Lang & Erez Siniver, 2000. "Language-Skill Complementarity: Returns to Immigrant Language Acquisition," NBER Working Papers 7737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark C. Regets & Harriet Orcutt Duleep, 1999. "Immigrants and Human-Capital Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 186-191, May.
- Card, David, 1999. "The causal effect of education on earnings," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1801-1863 Elsevier.
- Nekby, Lena, 2002. "Employment Convergence of Immigrants and Natives in Sweden," Research Papers in Economics 2002:9, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1753. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.