Health care usage among immigrants and native-born elderly populations in eleven European countries: results from SHARE
Differences in health care utilization of immigrants 50 years of age and older relative to the native-born populations in eleven European countries are investigated. Negative binomial and zero-inflated Poisson regression are used to examine differences between immigrants and native-borns in number of doctor visits, visits to general practitioners, and hospital stays using the 2004 Survey of Health, Ageing, and Retirement in Europe database. In the pooled European sample and in some individual countries, older immigrants use from 13 to 20% more health services than native-borns after demographic characteristics are controlled. After controlling for the need for health care, differences between immigrants and native-borns in the use of physicians, but not hospitals, are reduced by about half. These are not changed much with the incorporation of indicators of socioeconomic status and extra insurance coverage. Higher country-level relative expenditures on health, paying physicians a fee-for-service, and physician density are associated with higher usage of physician services among immigrants. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Volume (Year): 13 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10198/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José Labeaga & Maite Martínez-Granado, 2004.
"An empirical analysis of the demand for physician services across the European Union,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 150-165, May.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José M. Labeaga & Maite Martínez-Granado, 2003. "An Empirical Analysis of the Demand for Physician Services Across the European Union," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/45, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Jaume Puig‐Junoy & Marc Saez & Esther Martínez‐García, 1998. "Why do patients prefer hospital emergency visits? A nested multinomial logit analysis for patient‐initiated contacts," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 39-52, September.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-2031 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carole Roan Gresenz & Jeannette Rogowski & José J. Escarce, 2007. "Social Networks and Access to Health Care Among Mexican-Americans," NBER Working Papers 13460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristian Bolin & Anna Lindgren & Björn Lindgren & Petter Lundborg, 2009.
"Utilisation of physician services in the 50+ population: the relative importance of individual versus institutional factors in 10 European countries,"
International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 83-112, March.
- Kristian Bolin & Anna Lindgren & Bjorn Lindgren & Petter Lundborg, 2008. "Utilisation of Physician Services in the 50+ Population. The Relative Importance of Individual versus Institutional Factors in 10 European Countries," NBER Working Papers 14096, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aïda Solé-Auró & Eileen M.Crimmins, 2008. "Health of Immigrants in European countries," IREA Working Papers 200809, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jun 2008.
- McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven, 2004. "Insights into the 'healthy immigrant effect': health status and health service use of immigrants to Canada," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 1613-1627, October.
- Marisol Rodr�guez & Alexandrina Stoyanova, 2004. "The effect of private insurance access on the choice of GP|specialist and public|private provider in Spain," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 689-703.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984.
"Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982. "Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8203, CEPREMAP.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:eujhec:v:13:y:2012:i:6:p:741-754. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.