Changes in Immigrants' Body Mass Index with Their Duration of Residence in Germany
This paper investigates how immigrants' Body Mass Index (BMI) changes with increasing years since migration in Germany. The data are drawn from three waves (2002, 2004, and 2006) of the German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP). The results indicate a clear increase of the BMI with additional years in Germany for men and women.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en/soep
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007.
"The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) – Scope, Evolution and Enhancements,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(1), pages 139-169.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007. "The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP): Scope, Evolution and Enhancements," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 1, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Catherine Deri, 2005. "Understanding the 'Healthy Immigrant Effect' in Canada," Working Papers 0502E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven, 2005. "Is migration to Canada associated with unhealthy weight gain? Overweight and obesity among Canada's immigrants," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 2469-2481, December.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2002.
"Do Enclaves Matter in Immigrant Adjustment?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
449, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bruce Newbold, K. & Danforth, Jeff, 2003. "Health status and Canada's immigrant population," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(10), pages 1981-1995, November.
- Cawley, John H. & Grabka, Markus M. & Lillard, Dean R., 2005.
"A Comparison of the Relationship between Obesity and Earnings in the U.S. and Germany,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 119-129.
- John Cawley & Markus M. Grabka & Dean R. Lillard, 2005. "A Comparison of the Relationship between Obesity and Earnings in the U.S. and Germany," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 125(1), pages 119-129.
- Heather Antecol & Kelly Bedard, 2006.
"Unhealthy assimilation: Why do immigrants converge to American health status levels?,"
Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 337-360, May.
- Antecol, Heather & Bedard, Kelly, 2005. "Unhealthy Assimilation: Why Do Immigrants Converge to American Health Status Levels?," IZA Discussion Papers 1654, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nicholas Biddle & Steven Kennedy & James Ted Mcdonald, 2007. "Health Assimilation Patterns Amongst Australian Immigrants," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(260), pages 16-30, 03.
- Dietz, Barbara, 1999. "Ethnic German Immigration from Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union to Germany: the Effects of Migrant Networks," IZA Discussion Papers 68, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guillermina Jasso & Douglas S. Massey & Mark R. Rosenzweig & James P. Smith, 2004.
"Immigrant health: selectivity and acculturation,"
IFS Working Papers
W04/23, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-38, May.
- Kroh, Martin, 2005. "Intervieweffekte bei der Erhebung des Körpergewichts in Bevölkerungsumfragen," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 646-655.
- Elke Holst & Dean R. Lillard & Thomas A. DiPrete, 2001. "Proceedings of the 2000 Fourth International Conference of German Socio-Economic Panel Study Users (GSOEP 2000): Editorial Introduction," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(1), pages 5-6.
- Ossiander, Eric M. & Emanuel, Irvin & O'Brien, William & Malone, Kathleen, 2004. "Driver's licenses as a source of data on height and weight," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 219-227, June.
- McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven, 2004. "Insights into the 'healthy immigrant effect': health status and health service use of immigrants to Canada," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 1613-1627, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwsop:diw_sp122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.