Geographical and sectoral clusters of innovation in Europe
In this paper we attempt to provide empirical evidence on the phenomenon of cluster agglomeration of innovation activities throughout time and space in European regions. More specifically we try to assess whether there are some forces which support the development of technologically specialised regional clusters. In particular we want to determine the spatial extent of these forces, their dynamics along the eighties and nineties and their connection with production clustering. We have started from a mapping of innovation activity in European regions by means of a deep exploratory spatial analysis based on several global indicators of spatial dependence. As a result, in a second step, while controlling for the extent to which the specialization of production in certain sectors influences the specialization of innovation, this paper analyses the role which geographical knowledge spillovers play in innovation concentration in some industries. In other words, after the geographic concentration of production has been controlled for, we address the role that the development of technologically specialised clusters in neighbouring regions may play. The analysis is based on an original statistical databank set up by CRENoS on regional patenting at the European Patent Office spanning from 1978 to 2001 and classified by ISIC sectors (3 digit) and on the Cambridge Econometrics database on production activity
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Overman, Henry G., 2004.
"The spatial distribution of economic activities in the European Union,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 64, pages 2845-2909
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Henry Overman, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Economic Activities in the European Union," CEP Discussion Papers dp0587, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Henry G. Overman, 2003. "The spatial distribution of economic activities in the European Union," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20023, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1990.
"Trade, Knowledge Spillovers, and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Ciccone, 1998.
"Agglomeration-effects in Europe,"
Economics Working Papers
499, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1999.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-40, June.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003.
"Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002. "Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology," Urban/Regional 0202001, EconWPA.
- Philippe Martin & Gianmarco Ottaviano, 1996.
"Growth and Agglomeration,"
1996-14, CEPII research center.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2005.
"Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(10), pages 1793-1812, October.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2004. "Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p588, European Regional Science Association.
- Stefano Breschi, 2000. "The Geography of Innovation: A Cross-sector Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 213-229.
- Attila Varga & Zoltan Acs & Luc Anselin, 2003. "Regional Innovation in the US over Space and Time," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-18, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 1999.
"The role of specialisation and diversity externalities in the agglomeration of innovative activities,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199915, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Paci Raffaele & Usai Stefano, 2000. "The Role of Specialisation and Diversity Externalities in the Agglomeration of Innovative Activities," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 237-268.
- Baldwin, Richard & Martin, Philippe, 2003.
"Agglomeration and Regional Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Cheshire, 2000. "Endogenous Processes in European Regional Growth: Convergence and Policy," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(4), pages 455-479.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 1997.
"Technological enclaves and industrial districts. An analysis of the regional distributions of innovative activity in Europe,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199708, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2000. "Technological Enclaves and Industrial Districts: An Analysis of the Regional Distribution of Innovative Activity in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 97-114.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 1998. "Technological enclaves and industrial districts: An analysis of the regional distribution of innovative activity in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa98p461, European Regional Science Association.
- Laura Bottazzi & Giovanni Peri, .
"Innovation and Spillovers in Regions: Evidence from European Patent Data,"
215, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Peri, Giovanni, 2003. "Innovation and spillovers in regions: Evidence from European patent data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 687-710, August.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:39:y:2005:i:4:p:715-739. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.