An analysis of maritime ro-ro freight transport service attributes through adaptive stated preference: an application to a sample of freight forwarders
In this paper we present preliminary evidence from a pilot study carried out with the primary objective of testing the validity of adaptive conjoint data collecting methods in analysing operators’ preferences when redirecting current on-land transport services to a hypothetical maritime ro-ro service alternative. The analysis has focussed on a sample of freight forwarders. Through a combination of Revealed Preferences and Adaptive Stated Preference Experiments we have constructed a database of their preferences toward the maritime ro-ro alternative using a set of transport service attributes: price, reliability, frequency, transit time, etc. We have estimated the relevant parameters through a Tobit model and have been able to calculate relative trade-off values among the significant attributes. The resulting ranking highlights the relative importance of reliability and frequency in the decision to switch to maritime services.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): 25-26 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simona Bolis & Rico Maggi, 2003. "Logistics Strategy and Transport Service Choices: An Adaptive Stated Preference Experiment," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 490-504.
- Angela S. Bergantino & Simona Bolis, 2003. "An Adaptive Conjoint Analysis of Freight Service Alternatives: Evaluating the Maritime Alternative," ERSA conference papers ersa03p428, European Regional Science Association.
- Rico Maggi & Simona Bolis, 1998. "Adaptive stated preference analysis of shippers? transport and logistics choice," ERSA conference papers ersa98p496, European Regional Science Association.
- Adamowicz, Wiktor & Swait, Joffre & Boxall, Peter & Louviere, Jordan & Williams, Michael, 1997. "Perceptions versus Objective Measures of Environmental Quality in Combined Revealed and Stated Preference Models of Environmental Valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 65-84, January.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, September.
- Maier, Gunther & Bergman, Edward M., 2000. "Stated Preferences For Transport Among Industrial Cluster Firms," ERSA conference papers ersa00p486, European Regional Science Association.
- Brownstone, David & Bunch, David S. & Train, Kenneth, 2000.
"Joint mixed logit models of stated and revealed preferences for alternative-fuel vehicles,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 315-338, June.
- Brownston, David & Bunch, David S. & Train, Kenneth, 1999. "Joint mixed logit models of stated and revealed preferences for alternative-fuel vehicles," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7rf7s3nx, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brownstone, David & Bunch, David S & Train, Kenneth, 1999. "Joint mixed logit models of stated and revealed preferences for alternative-fuel vehicles," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt45f996hh, University of California Transportation Center.
- Adamowicz W. & Louviere J. & Williams M., 1994. "Combining Revealed and Stated Preference Methods for Valuing Environmental Amenities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-292, May.
- Adamowicz, Wiktor L. & Louviere, J. & Willians, M., 1992. "Combining Revealed and Stated Preference Methods for Valuing Environmental Amenities," Staff Paper Series 232531, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sot:journl:y:2004:i:25-26:p:33-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Romeo Danielis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.