The influence of individual perceptions and the urban/rural environment on nascent entrepreneurship
: Individual perceptions have been shown to affect the decision to start a new firm. This decision is also contingent upon the context in which actions are taken. However, not much is known about the joint impact of entrepreneurs’perceptions and the urban/rural environment where the firm is created. The purpose of this paper is to examine how nascent entrepreneurship is influenced by individual perceptions and the urban/rural context. Using data from the Spanish GEM project, the results of a series of logistic regression models indicate that opportunity perception and self-efficacy have a positive influence on the probability of becoming a nascent entrepreneur. Interestingly, we also find that individuals in rural areas who perceive new opportunities are more likely to become nascent entrepreneurs rather than those who live in urban ones.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 26 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joachim Wagner & Rolf Sternberg, 2004. "Start-up activities, individual characteristics, and the regional milieu: Lessons for entrepreneurship support policies from German micro data," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 219-240, 06.
- Chen, Chao C. & Greene, Patricia Gene & Crick, Ann, 1998. "Does entrepreneurial self-efficacy distinguish entrepreneurs from managers?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 295-316, July.
- Maria I. Marshall & Ananya Samal, 2006.
"The Effect Of Human And Financial Capital On The Entrepreneurial Process: An Urban-Rural Comparison Of Entrepreneurs In Indiana,"
06-13, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Marshall, Maria I. & Samal, Ananya, 2006. "The Effect of Human and Financial Capital on the Entrepreneurial Process: An Urban-Rural Comparison of Entrepreneurs in Indiana," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21155, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Diana Hechavarria & Maija Renko & Charles Matthews, 2012. "The nascent entrepreneurship hub: goals, entrepreneurial self-efficacy and start-up outcomes," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 685-701, October.
- Nicola Meccheri & Gianluigi Pelloni, 2006. "Rural entrepreneurs and institutional assistance: an empirical study from mountainous Italy," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 371-392, September.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Paul Reynolds & Niels Bosma & Erkko Autio & Steve Hunt & Natalie De Bono & Isabel Servais & Paloma Lopez-Garcia & Nancy Chin, 2005. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Data Collection Design and Implementation 1998–2003," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 205-231, 02.
- André Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2008.
"The impact of new firm formation on regional development in the Netherlands,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 31-47, January.
- André van Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2005. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200503, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André van Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2006. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200604, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- van Stel, A.J. & Suddle, K., 2005. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-075-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Palich, Leslie E. & Ray Bagby, D., 1995. "Using cognitive theory to explain entrepreneurial risk-taking: Challenging conventional wisdom," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 425-438, November.
- Yasemin Y. Kor & Joseph T. Mahoney & Steven C. Michael, 2007. "Resources, Capabilities and Entrepreneurial Perceptions," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1187-1212, November.
- Malhotra, Naresh K., 2005. "Attitude and affect: new frontiers of research in the 21st century," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 477-482, April.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2010.
"Urban economics and entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Niels Bosma & Veronique Schutjens, 2011. "Understanding regional variation in entrepreneurial activity and entrepreneurial attitude in Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 711-742, December.
- Lutz Trettin & Friederike Welter, 2011. "Challenges for spatially oriented entrepreneurship research," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(7-8), pages 575-602, September.
- N.S. Bosma & J. Hessels & V. Schutjens & M. Van Praag & I. Verheul, 2012. "Entrepreneurship and role models," Working Papers 33-2, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Davidsson, Per, 1991. "Continued entrepreneurship: Ability, need, and opportunity as determinants of small firm growth," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 405-429, November.
- Esteban Lafuente & Yancy Vaillant & Josep Rialp, 2007. "Regional Differences in the Influence of Role Models: Comparing the Entrepreneurial Process of Rural Catalonia," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(6), pages 779-796.
- Bosma, Niels & Hessels, Jolanda & Schutjens, Veronique & Praag, Mirjam Van & Verheul, Ingrid, 2012.
"Entrepreneurship and role models,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 410-424.
- Dimo Dimov, 2010. "Nascent Entrepreneurs and Venture Emergence: Opportunity Confidence, Human Capital, and Early Planning," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(6), pages 1123-1153, 09.
- Franz T�dtling & Herta Wanzenb�ck, 2003. "Regional differences in structural characteristics of start-ups," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 351-370, October.
- Heiko Bergmann & Rolf Sternberg, 2007. "The Changing Face of Entrepreneurship in Germany," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 205-221, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo Ortíz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.