The National Deposit Insurance System - A Market Institution at the Crossroads
The safety net provided by deposit insurance systems gain heavily in weight at times of crisis. The correct set of such a cushion is critical to its effectiveness. While it helps to prevent bank runs, the severe market distortions are of great concern. The short term benefit of public confidence can be, far and away, offset by its long run negative effects consisting mainly in increased moral hazard, heavy public costs and impaired competition.
Volume (Year): 01 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Strada Mihai Eminescu nr.13-15, sector 1, Bucuresti, Romania|
Web page: http://www.fin.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Luis Servén, 2010. "Are All the Sacred Cows Dead? Implications of the Financial Crisis for Macro- and Financial Policies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 25(1), pages 91-124, February.
- James B. Thomson & Walker F. Todd, 1990. "Rethinking and Living with the Limits of Bank Regulation," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 9(3), pages 579-600, Winter.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2008.
"Determinants of deposit-insurance adoption and design,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 407-438, July.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2006. "Determinants of deposit-insurance adoption and design," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3849, The World Bank.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Edward J. Kane & Luc Laeven, 2007. "Determinants of Deposit-Insurance Adoption and Design," NBER Working Papers 12862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2008. "Market Discipline and Deposit Insurance," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 11(3), pages 3-14. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfb:journl:v:01:y:2009:i:1:p:055-068. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatu Lucian)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.