The Force Field of Tourism
The literature on tourism development has focused on a one dimensional relationship between tourism development and quality of life. The impact of shock events on the relationship tourism development and quality of life seems ignored. Rather less attention has been paid to the multi-dimensional aspects of the relationship between tourism development and quality of life, and the potential impact of shock events on shaping this relationship. This study proposes a conceptual framework describing a triad of relations between tourism development (TD), quality of life (QoL) and shock events, and advocates that a bilateral relation exists between these three constructs. The framework also integrates three types of theories, each of which with the potential to explain tourism growth from a different perspective. The study analyzes a number of challenges facing tourism and discusses how these challenges interact and affect the interconnectedness between TD, QoL and shock events. The dynamic interplay of all these forces shapes tourism development patterns and will determine the nature of tourism development. The present study contributes to the tourism literature by identifying and structuring core elements that are responsible for the dynamics of tourism. In essence, it advances the understanding of this complex phenomenon, while providing building blocks for an anticipated view on the future of tourism.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adamos Adamou & Sofronis Clerides, 2010.
"Prospects and Limits of Tourism-Led Growth: The International Evidence,"
Review of Economic Analysis,
Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 2(3), pages 287-303, September.
- Adamos Adamou & Sofronis Clerides, 2009. "Prospects and Limits of Tourism-Led Growth: The International Evidence," Working Paper Series 41_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Arezki, Rabah & Cherif, Reda & Piotrowski, John, 2009.
"Tourism Specialization and Economic Development: Evidence from the UNESCO World Heritage List,"
17132, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John M. Piotrowski & Rabah Arezki & Reda Cherif, 2009. "Tourism Specialization and Economic Development; Evidence from the UNESCO World Heritage List," IMF Working Papers 09/176, International Monetary Fund.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Reggiani, Aura, 1995. "Non-linear evolution of dynamic spatial systems. The relevance of chaos and ecologically-based models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 183-210, April.
- Sdrali, Despina & Chazapi, Katerina, 2007. "Cultural Tourism In A Greek Insular Community: The Residents’ Perspective," MPRA Paper 6368, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reggiani, Aura & Nijkamp, Peter & Sabella, Enrico, 2001. "New advances in spatial network modelling: Towards evolutionary algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 385-401, January.
- Rinaldo Brau & Alessandro Lanza & Francesco Pigliaru, 2003. "How Fast are the Tourism Countries Growing? The cross-country evidence," Working Papers 2003.85, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Jallat, Frédéric & Shultz, Clifford J., 2011. "Lebanon: From cataclysm to opportunityâCrisis management lessons for MNCs in the tourism sector of the Middle East," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 476-486, October.
- Paolo Figini & Laura Vici, 2009. "Tourism and Growth in a Cross-Section of Countries," Working Paper Series 01_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Paul M. Romer, 1994. "The Origins of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 3-22, Winter.
- Neal, Janet D. & Sirgy, M. Joseph & Uysal, Muzaffer, 1999. "The Role of Satisfaction with Leisure Travel/ Tourism Services and Experience in Satisfaction with Leisure Life and Overall Life," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 153-163, March.
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jordá, 2000.
"Tourism As A Long-Run Economic Growth Factor: The Spanish Case,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2000-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jorda, 2002. "Tourism as a long-run economic growth factor: the Spanish case," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 877-884.
- Clemens Breisinger & Xinshen Diao & Marie‐Helen Collion & Pierre Rondot, 2011. "Impacts of the Triple Global Crisis on Growth and Poverty: The Case of Yemen," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 29(2), pages 155-184, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ren:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:1:p:1-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Fernando Reyes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.