Falling Educational Wage Premia in Italy
In this paper we analyze the evolution of Educational wage premia (Ewp) in the Italian private sector. Drawing upon the Household income and wealth survey (Bank of Italy) we show that Ewp showed a general decrease between 1993 and 2004, at all quantiles of the wage distribution. Our findings do not depend on the type of educational attainments. A number of robustness checks and various econometric specifications are also applied in order to address matters of sample selection. Thus Italy is situated as an outlier among the Oecd countries, where the Ewp have generally increased over the last few decades.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martins, Pedro S. & Pereira, Pedro T., 2004. "Does education reduce wage inequality? Quantile regression evidence from 16 countries," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 355-371, June.
- Omar Arias & Walter Sosa-Escudero & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
"Individual heterogeneity in the returns to schooling: instrumental variables quantile regression using twins data,"
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 7-40.
- Omar Arias & Kevin F. Hallock & Walter Sosa Escudero, 1999. "Individual Heterogeneity in the Returns to Schooling: Instrumental Variables Quantile Regression using Twins Data," Department of Economics, Working Papers 016, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Guido de Blasio & Sabrina Di Addario, 2005. "Do Workers Benefit from Industrial Agglomeration?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 797-827.
- Lucifora, Claudio & Comi, Simona & Brunello, Giorgio, 2000. "The Returns to Education in Italy: A New Look at the Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 130, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brunello, Giorgio & Miniaci, Raffaele, 1999. "The economic returns to schooling for Italian men. An evaluation based on instrumental variables1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 509-519, November.
- Peracchi, Franco, 2006. "Educational Wage Premia and the Distribution of Earnings: An International Perspective," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- Pamela Giustinelli, 2004. "Quantile Regression Evidence on Italian Education Returns," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(6), pages 49-100, November-.
- Koenker, Roger & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1982. "Robust Tests for Heteroscedasticity Based on Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 43-61, January.
- Lilla Marco, 2005. "Disuguaglianze salariali in Italia: nuove evidenze dai microdati SHIW," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 71-102.
- repec:rtv:ceiswp:215 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)